Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope advice please

Hello all 

I'm returning to the world of astronomy after an 8 year break. I previously had a 6" dobsonian and a st 120.

I'm currently scope less and I'm wanting to get back into the hobby. 

I love dso's aswell as planetary observation. I've just sold my watch collection and I have a budget of about £1000 at a push. 

Like I said above, I like to observe dso's and planets. 

I loved my skywatcher st120 and the dobsonian. Each had their purpose. 

So my question is, shall I replace like for like or is there something that does both currently out there? 

Price is to include, mount also. 

I like the look of the skywatcher skymax 127 on the small table top wifi mount. I also fancy having my skywatcher st120 again. 

Any further options or better scopes (hopefully one that does all I want in one scope) are appreciated. 

Many thanks 

Hmmm ... an 'all-rounder' is a bit of a Holy Grail IMO. I have a modified ST102 (aftermarket focuser) and it's difficult to beat for a portable rich field scope. I also have a 127mm Mak' on an alt-az.

IPUMKTqm.jpg

Either are hardly what I'd call an all-rounder though. Most would probably recommend a 16" Dob' as this is the usual response to any telescope purchasing advice on most forums. I'm not a fan of Dob's though. I have at least four all-rounders and they are all ED doublets ranging between 60mm to 102mm. So, I'd recommend an ED80 DS Pro combined with an AZ5 Deluxe. 

08Wom7Hm.jpg

I have both of these. Although my 80ED (now with a Long Perng focuser) usually gets out on my Porta II/TL-130 as seen above with the 127mm Maksutov. Altogether the ensemble will be under a grand. The 80ED might not  be large enough for the 'Dob Mob' but it is a capable scope with good glass. At f/7.5 it is still good for deep sky and rich field, yet also good for lunar/planetary. It is well balanced on the AZ5 and comes bundled with some accessories.

qA4PhSkm.jpg 

The dielectric is fine, the straight through finder works and the 28mm EP is much better than it looks.

3nTmXWHm.jpg

My guess is that it's some form of Konig rather than a reversed Kellner as it is better edge corrected than I expected. Plus, it's probably indestructible. 

4 hours ago, Newola said:

So my question is, shall I replace like for like or is there something that does both currently out there? 

Not in that kind of budget.

Dob + wide field scope is still best option for covering most bases.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Not in that kind of budget.

Dob + wide field scope is still best option for covering most bases.

Agree. I'd suggest to go more in the direction of "extremes", that means, a small frac of about 70 - 80 mm aperture, preferably with ED optics, and a 200 mm f/5 or f/6 Dob. Considering your location in Cornwall (usually associated with dark skies, at least rather close by), you could also get a larger dob of 250 or even 300 mm aperture, if storage (at ambient temperature) and transportability are no problems for you. A good 10"-to 12" Dob is a very capable planetary scope with high resolving power. With my 12", I was able to make out  Neptun's moon Triton last year - one of Phil Harrington's "Cosmic Challenges" (an excellent book btw.).

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation I decided on the trusty ST120 and the Skymax 150. The ST120 is on the way and I’m waiting for my pennies to recover a bit before going for the Skymax. 

With regards to the ST120, apart from the stock 10 and 25mm eyepieces, what others should I consider ? Moon filter? Fringe killer? Also are there any other magnifications that would be good for this scope for dso’s? (Without high price tags).

Many thanks

Al

9 minutes ago, iapa said:

it could be chipped cracked or worse.

🙂 I hope those that have made bids on it have asked for a 'pic' looking down the barrel! I just included the link as an option to look around and see what's available second hand. Being a scrooge I have never purchased a new scope, walk out the shop with a 'new' one , immediate value drop of 25% (hmmm maybe 10% if its astro physics or Questar)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SthBohemia said:

🙂 I hope those that have made bids on it have asked for a 'pic' looking down the barrel! I just included the link as an option to look around and see what's available second hand. Being a scrooge I have never purchased a new scope, walk out the shop with a 'new' one , immediate value drop of 25% (hmmm maybe 10% if its astro physics or Questar)...

Like you all bar one scope I have was pre-loved and not had a problem with any, tho a lot can depend on how much you are able to do if needed unless what you're buying is in mint condition. Only one that was new was the Starsense LT70 and that was bought just for the license to unlock the app 😉 

• Like 1

Definitely ED. If you can stretch to 100mm you can also throw more magnification on. Mars will be good in December and then rubbish for years. For me it’s all about building up core memories/experiences to share and look back on with a view to current visual attractions. 
the Sw ED refractors are slow but no slouch in deep field where visual is concerned. My favourite is the ring nebula which looks great at 9mm in B4/5 sky in a SW100ed. 
An 80mm with a decent eyepiece would be great also. It’s a tough decision. 
EQ5 manual mount is a good fit and solid. The scopes will be easy to operate if that’s a consideration. 
You get more value for money second hand but that route is dependent on patience and luck of the draw. 

clear skies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Like you all bar one scope I have was pre-loved and not had a problem with any, tho a lot can depend on how much you are able to do if needed unless what you're buying is in mint condition. Only one that was new was the Starsense LT70 and that was bought just for the license to unlock the app 😉 

I'm about 50:50 for preowned (8"SCT, 10" F4 newtonian, Esprit ED80) and new (8" RASA, 8" RC, 8" F5 newtonian).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2022 at 17:26, Zeta Reticulan said:

Hmmm ... an 'all-rounder' is a bit of a Holy Grail IMO. I have a modified ST102 (aftermarket focuser) and it's difficult to beat for a portable rich field scope. I also have a 127mm Mak' on an alt-az.

IPUMKTqm.jpg

Either are hardly what I'd call an all-rounder though. Most would probably recommend a 16" Dob' as this is the usual response to any telescope purchasing advice on most forums. I'm not a fan of Dob's though. I have at least four all-rounders and they are all ED doublets ranging between 60mm to 102mm. So, I'd recommend an ED80 DS Pro combined with an AZ5 Deluxe. 

08Wom7Hm.jpg

I have both of these. Although my 80ED (now with a Long Perng focuser) usually gets out on my Porta II/TL-130 as seen above with the 127mm Maksutov. Altogether the ensemble will be under a grand. The 80ED might not  be large enough for the 'Dob Mob' but it is a capable scope with good glass. At f/7.5 it is still good for deep sky and rich field, yet also good for lunar/planetary. It is well balanced on the AZ5 and comes bundled with some accessories.

qA4PhSkm.jpg 

The dielectric is fine, the straight through finder works and the 28mm EP is much better than it looks.

3nTmXWHm.jpg

My guess is that it's some form of Konig rather than a reversed Kellner as it is better edge corrected than I expected. Plus, it's probably indestructible. 

The SkyWatcher Apex 28mm LER|LET is not to sneezed at. I use mine quite a lot. Not sure whether they come with an end cap at the eye end, (mine did not, as I purchased it secondhand via another astro-site) and use a 35mm film cannister cap/lid/top.

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.46240330106212d8840e165957e3fd01.JPGIMG_0321.thumb.JPG.b657e25511c64d14b452a2666efb406e.JPG

Edited by Philip R