SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eq8 mount

I have the EQ8 pro mount, it’s the older version, but works very well, it’s a beast of a mount, and ideal for the use you mention.

‘The older and newer ones can suffer from a bit of DEC backlash, this is normal for these mounts, although it shouldn’t be, but I don’t really find it an issue, but some people do…Other than that I can’t fault mine….👍🏼

The original EQ8 was a real bargain in terms of load capability per pound spent. I had one and sold it..big mistake! They're not perfect (as per the dec backlash alluded to above) but they are very competent mounts. The bolt-on polarscope always looked like an afterthought but if you're using something like a polemaster that won't be an issue.

The matching tripod is very good but also very heavy...a proper pillar would be a good investment. 

I’m sure he will reply when he sees this thread but @Tomatobro has an EQ8 in an observatory. It currently carries a StellaLyra RC10, here is a recent example of a galaxy image (M102) taken with the set up.

It’s a substantial piece of kit and not suited to a set up/take down operation but that’s not an issue for you.

5C4D0AA5-5EC8-44E3-A818-9E7D568BF3B3.jpeg.bac7719a266e6d64ff19c96a5dc47182.jpeg

• Like 2

I had my EQ8-r delivered in October 2021. It replaced my EQ6 pro. Machining the adapter for the mount required me to lift the EQ8 on and off the pier about 8 times which put my back out for about 10 days or so.

After about 50 hours of use I adjusted the RA backlash which was straight forward. There is a tiny bit in the DEC but the polar alignment is so good I have not done anything with it.

My main concern was what would the build quality be like as it was the first batch out of the pandemic but I could not fault it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

I had my EQ8-r delivered in October 2021. It replaced my EQ6 pro. Machining the adapter for the mount required me to lift the EQ8 on and off the pier about 8 times which put my back out for about 10 days or so.

After about 50 hours of use I adjusted the RA backlash which was straight forward. There is a tiny bit in the DEC but the polar alignment is so good I have not done anything with it.

My main concern was what would the build quality be like as it was the first batch out of the pandemic but I could not fault it.

Assuming you guided on both, what guiding improvement do you see with the EQ8 Vs your EQ6? Thanks.

The question is a bit unfair on the EQ6 as it was already a bit overloaded hence the move to the EQ8.

With the 10 inch tube RC, Altair 60mm guide scope, remote focuser, 7 position filter wheel and cameras last night PHD reported

RA 0.12 (0.39")

Dec 0.06 (0.19")

Total (0.43")

RA osc 0.20

From memory on the overloaded EQ6 the RA would be around 0.85, and the DEC about 0.65 on a good night.

Hope this helps

One thing with the EQ8 is that it is shipped in a large flight box which is on wheels. Once the mount is on the pier its what to do with the flight box. Its too good to scrap and has a limited resale so you will need to find somewhere to store it.