Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 RA motor

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Just been looking at that as £34 you have to have delivered. 

If that one is decent one ish I will get that. 

Before you do order any, check the thread pitch on your bolt and ensure that the set you order has one that matches, or better has both thread pitches in the set. Else you'll be no further forward if the pitch doesn't match up.

If you place your M6 bolt against your existing tap do the threads match?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Just been looking at that as £34

You maybe ok with the set, it is not, as far as tap/dies go expensive... You could follow Daves original suggestion and ask a nearby machinist to bore you a hole 🙂 Any model engineers near you? There MUST be UK is flooded with them!!

Edited.. Ya listen to Dave I forget to mention the obvious thingies like thread checking 😞

Edited by SthBohemia

17 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Before you do order any, check the thread pitch on your bolt and ensure that the set you order has one that matches, or better has both thread pitches in the set. Else you'll be no further forward if the pitch doesn't match up.

If you place your M6 bolt against your existing tap do the threads match?

Yes I have a. 75 and the 1 the 0.75 are too fine for the bolt too close together. 

When I buy the set I can just put the one I started it off with so should fit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SthBohemia said:

You maybe ok with the set, it is not, as far as tap/dies go expensive... You could follow Daves original suggestion and ask a nearby machinist to bore you a hole 🙂 Any model engineers near you? There MUST be UK is flooded with them!!

I know of a engineers I went there have a bolt made for my tripod to fit to my mount they wanted £120 so I'm not sure how much they would charge. 

This is why I want to do it myself. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I know of a engineers I went there have a bolt made for my tripod to fit to my mount they wanted £120 so I'm not sure how much they would charge. 

This is why I want to do it myself. 

Yikes! £120 to cut a thread, they must've heard that for astro gear prices you take your usual fee and multiply by 60 or something 😮 

Fair enough tho, I find it handy to have a set available when threads on the car, binos etc need cleaning up to chase the crud that can build up out etc.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

Just now, wookie1965 said:

they wanted £120

That's bloody robbery! I would make you any bolt for a beer! Am still happy to post ya a 1/4 UNF tap which is fine tapered which will certainly cut a thread for you into anything not HSS. Just not sure of postage times and I could not post until Wednesday as I live out in the sticks...

6 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

That's bloody robbery! I would make you any bolt for a beer! Am still happy to post ya a 1/4 UNF tap which is fine tapered which will certainly cut a thread for you into anything not HSS. Just not sure of postage times and I could not post until Wednesday as I live out in the sticks...

That's very kind of you I'm in no rush I will get the £16 set and have a go. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Yikes! £120 to cut a thread, they must've heard that for astro gear prices you take your usual fee and multiply by 60 or something 😮 

Fair enough tho, I find it handy to have a set available when threads on the car, binos etc need cleaning up to chase the crud that can build up out etc.

They were going to make the bar as well but I thought it was a bit pricey. 

• Like 2

After all this discussion about a 6mm hole I hope Mr Wookie takes lots of pics of the tapping operation of the accursed hole.

I am sure Dave59 and (definitely myself) expect a turn by turn description of the operation!! With numerous pictures 🙂  of the finished article!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

After all this discussion about a 6mm hole I hope Mr Wookie takes lots of pics of the tapping operation of the accursed hole.

I am sure Dave59 and (definitely myself) expect a turn by turn description of the operation!! With numerous pictures 🙂  of the finished article!!

surely we want a full on action video in HD or 4K? 😉 

• Like 1

^^ at least both sets have a proper 'andle to turn da cutty end 🙂

Da grey one look a bit bedder, 'ave you tried Ebay? My typing gets worse dis tima knight due to da beer influx!

Damn it I will go down da stairs and grab a 1st cut tap and take its photo so ya gets an idea what to buy

The bottom one is a first tap, more tapered, above is an intermediate taper or 2nd cut.  You are after the more tapered taps...

taps.JPG

Edited by SthBohemia
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SthBohemia said:

^^ at least both sets have a proper 'andle to turn da cutty end 🙂

Da grey one look a bit bedder, 'ave you tried Ebay? My typing gets worse dis tima knight due to da beer influx!

I got the last one off ebay what I was looking for was what they are made of these say tungsten so thought they would be better. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I got the last one off ebay what I was looking for was what they are made of these say tungsten so thought they would be better. 

The best are HSS, high speed steel, likey them there 15 quid each ones from Tracy tools but unless you intend to manufacture 6mm tapped holes for all members offa da forum  ya dinna knead HSS 🙂

• Like 2

The set I have is V similar if not same as this one:

Tap and Die Set, 110 Piece Screw Taps Tool Set, Heavy Duty Carbon Steel Tapping Tool Set, M2-M18 Screw Nut Thread Taps Dies Set with Wrench Handle : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Not the dogs B's perhaps but enough for the use I put them to, which is occasional cleaning/clearing existing threads and the occasional new when for example re-making a binocular focus arm. They've worked just fine tho I have also bought in some of the much smaller 1.3-2.5mm for specific jobs like tapping for those teeny tiny grub screws optical gear seems to love to use. 

Do be aware @wookie1965 that the second set you listed says only M6x1.0 so is that the size you need or did you need 0.75 or both?
If you get the metric only set you do get both thread pitches in the set.

Nice they include a thread pitch gauge tho, I had to buy one separately.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

The set I have is V similar if not same as this one:

Not bad value 4 money Dave! Better investment to go for Carbon steel unless specifically need HSS.

I am a bit nervous of nightmares about 6mm holes driving me to leap from a window and SEWERSIDE 😞 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

nice, a quality name at least so any issues they should send a replacement if it dulls on the first use 🙂 

That's what I thought thank you for all your help really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Update received the set today took RA motor off used the 6mm 1.0 a bit of oil backwards and forwards through the hole bolt goes in now nice and tight. 

Definitely no movement on the RA drive now that shouldn't be. 

20220731_165109.jpg

20220731_165100.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

always good to have the right tool for the job, well done mate 🙂 

Now, where's the HD video showing the action... 😉 

Sorry Dave I didn't do one I've just fitted two ceiling fan lights, the set turned up and just wanted try it checked the bolt first for the right thread got the oil out and tapped the hole. 

Never even entered my head to video it I should of took pictures but I didn't do that either 😥

• Like 1