SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 RA motor

Can anyone suggest a fix this please, the hole arrowed should be threaded but they have worn away. 

I have tried rethreading it and got a couple of turns enough to get a bolt holding it but want to fix it properly. 

I have read I can use a helicoil having never used these I'm unsure whether to or not. 

Can I use a hand drill and tap to thread it or is that a no no. 

Thank you 

Paul 

images.jpeg

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

If a larger bolt would fit then drill out to suit and re-tap to size would work.

Never used helicoils myself but they are common to repair damaged threads so would be a solution too. Think you may still need to drill the existing hole out and re-tap for the coil to be fitted but at least you'd be staying to the OEM standard size bolt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

drill out to suit and re-tap to size

^^ Dave provided the only viable solution, forget any other quick fix. Depending on the original hole size you might get away without drilling by simply running a 1mm or 1/32" oversize tap through the existing hole...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Thanks Dave can I use a hand drill to tap it once drilled or is that a no no. 

Regards 

Paul 

I'd use a hand tap rather than a drill assuming you'd have a hand drill that would take the size of the tap shank. Just work slowly and lube the tap so it can do its job. As above you might be able to run a tap 0.5-1mm oversize but be sure you can get a suitable replacement bolt in that size and that it'll fit the assembly before diving in 😉

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

As above you might be able to run a tap 0.5-1mm oversize but be sure you can get a suitable replacement bolt in that size and that it'll fit the assembly before diving in 😉

🙂 Be brave My Wookie! At worst you would only need a die to make a new bolt!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SthBohemia said:

🙂 Be brave My Wookie! At worst you would only need a die to make a new bolt!!

I have got a tap and die set but it's a cheap one, I have got a few taps that I sent for and have used one of these and got a couple of turns but could not turn it any more it was just slipping in the handle. 😥

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I have got a tap and die set but it's a cheap one, I have got a few taps that I sent for and have used one of these and got a couple of turns but could not turn it any more it was just slipping in the handle. 😥

might be worth asking at a local machine shop or auto-repairs place if they could run a thread in there for you? They may even do a helicoil repair if they have the right size. No idea what they'd charge but may not be much for a small part like that one.

Don't ask at the local shipyard tho, they'll likely want to fix the parts together using a hot iron rivet and steam hammer 😉 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

just slipping in the handle. 😥

Slipping? How? Taps generally have a top squared shank! What size and thread is the original hole, and what size tap are you attempting to run through it?

You maybe better off with a precision 1st cut tap...

In general, unless you are trying to cut a thread through High Speed Steel 😞 - if the nose end of a 1st cut tap drops sorta into the hole it will not be oversize and 'stick' or even worse break 😞 😞  within the hole!

Edited by SthBohemia

13 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Pretty sure it's M6 the M6x1

OK, it's a M6 course thread tap, I have not come across a tap holder such as yours.

(Seeing that Mr Paul Wookie lives a long way away I might be safe and suggest that he throws the holder out the nearest window or give it as a Christmas present to someone who insults wookies!)

Now seriously (I have great difficulty being serious, it comes from living within OZ for a long time), buy a 1/4" Ist cut tap and a real tap holder, then run that through.

Jeeeez you take good pics! Mine are usually outa focus and blurry. Thus I send no pics of a real tap holder or what a 1st tap looks like.. Ask DAVE59 🙂 

Dave posted before the above suggestion. You can buy them separately. Any good tool shop that deals with lathes, mills etc will sell quality taps. NOT general hardware shops, they usually stock junk.... I am happy ta post ya one iffn ya can wait a couple a weeks... Best part of that is no cost...

Edited by SthBohemia

There's a technique to tapping too...apologies if I'm patronising you but are you using oil and running the tap back after cutting a little bit? If the tap is sharp it shouldn't take enough effort to slip in the holder anyway.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

No just been looking if I can get one separately. 

Should be able to, my set has one similar to the one you have but for the smaller taps only, never used it tho.

Out of interest, what was the original bolt size?

It may be that you're trying to tap a hole that's just a shade too small so the tap is trying to cut away more than just the material that it cuts to form the thread.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

There's a technique to tapping too...apologies if I'm patronising you but are you using oil and running the tap back after cutting a little bit? If the tap is sharp it shouldn't take enough effort to slip in the holder anyway.

Yes I run it backwards and forwards while using oil I have oil for my hair trimmers and 3in1 but found the hair trimmer oil better. 

It's the handle it's rubbish just been looking at a set in Toolstation £34 think I will send for that. 

https://www.toolstation.com/draper-combination-tap-and-die-set-metric-and-bsp-in-eva-foam-insert-tray/p98880

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Should be able to, my set has one similar to the one you have but for the smaller taps only, never used it tho.

Out of interest, what was the original bolt size?

It may be that you're trying to tap a hole that's just a shade too small so the tap is trying to cut away more than just the material that it cuts to form the thread.

It's a M6 just checked. There is a a bit of thread left it's just worn down not gripping properly 20220725_140830.thumb.jpg.78858b78b87da6368d9c4f46c8ca9c05.jpg

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

It's a M6 just checked. 20220725_140830.thumb.jpg.78858b78b87da6368d9c4f46c8ca9c05.jpg

that's odd then, if the original was M6 then the M6 tap should run through easily into the original M6 threaded hole and maybe clean up the thread tho of course any stripped ones would be cut away. Can you check what the thread pitch is too? I have 6x0.75 and 6x1.0 tap & dies, your original may be the other size compared to the tap you are using.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

i got a tap set from, it was either toolstation or screwfix the other week. it was about 16 quid and works fine. should do the job for you. just make sure that tap has been started straight. your tap holder is micky mouse. you could try a small spanner instead, ive done that before. just go slow with it.

• Like 1

basically there is  2 metric threads metric fine and course. make sure your using the right 1. quite often,  but not always they use a course thread for bolts going into alloy as it gives a better grip in the softer metal. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Will they post to the UK? 

They live in Torquay UK 🙂 They post anywhere... Even to SCOTLAND!

Ok as Dave pointed out re the 6mm hole tap.... (see Daves comments) ^^

Now we have a new senario, my suggestion is to purchase a 0.25 inch UNF tap as shown below (and a bolt to fit the new hole).

Ooops sorry I putup a pic of the long shank version, get the el cheaper tap...

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 15.35.26.png

Edited by SthBohemia
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, apaulo said:

i got a tap set from, it was either toolstation or screwfix the other week. it was about 16 quid and works fine. should do the job for you. just make sure that tap has been started straight. your tap holder is micky mouse. you could try a small spanner instead, ive done that before. just go slow with it.

Just been looking at that as £34 you have to have delivered. 

If that one is decent one ish I will get that.