Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help to chose a telescope :(

Hello, and welcome to SGL.

The typical response could be "Aperture is king, but mount is the queen"

A Dobsonian scope will offer the maximum aperture for a reasonably stable mount in a given budget. And it doesn't need electricity in order to operate (you are moving the scope manually).

A scope like a GSO 8" Dobsonian is a very nice starting scope for observing - around 450 EUR in a European dealer

(note that I don't own a Dobsonian myself, I use a Maksutov and a refractor mostly)

If you want a refractor, an ED doublet like the SVBONY 503 80mm is a nice introduction (and can also be used for astrophotography), but you will need a mount too.

N.F.

Note: if you want to view planets and the moon, a Maksutov scope like the Skymax 127 would be a good start.

There's no scope that does everything. Because I live in a heavily light polluted city, I wanted a scope suitable for planets, moon etc., and in this specialty focal distance is a big advantage.

N.F.

13 hours ago, Alexmar said:

I know i wont be getting hubble images, you guys are talking too much about waste of money, dont know about the US, but here we can return goods to get back the money for about a week or so, i am more worry about time. so i can test some telescopes, and i was saying, i want to have some experience first, before dump 1k into telescopes

Join an astro club and you should be able to borrow equipment to try out. Another option to consider is binoculars. These are cheaper and a good way to enjoy the sky. A decent 10 x 50 will be a good starting point.

And ref your expectation of what you can hope to see, this site gives you that simulation https://www.stelvision.com/astro/en/telescope-simulator/

Most of the images on the web are based on many hours of data and post processing.

Edited by AstroMuni

The TLES85 you shared looks interesting, 80mm by 500mm f6.25 it would show some chromatic aberration but give fairly wide field of view and if not too fussy perhaps liveable CA. Do you know if it is a ccoated doublet? The tripod looks fairly ok.

A little update for you guys. I decided to get a 70mm/400mm Telescope, primarily because i will make a travel soon, and i want to take it with me, will be very hard to carry a 150mm reflector in my full packed car, Also, i going to a beach, and that opened reflector filling up with sand is giving me nightmares, also, i think will be a good first telescope, take a good intruduction into this hobby, if i really get into it, i will look for a 150mm reflector or something like it to buy. Anywaym thx for the informatioin you guys provided. 

One last question, does the quality of the eyepieces/barlow take a bit hit on the image quality? i was looking for some comparison between bad vs good lens, didn't find any good information. If it does make a big diference, is the celestron eyepieces a good brand to get it from?

Depends on the 70mm scope I reckon. You can see a lot with a 70mm refractor.

tia3jeTl.jpg

Again, depends on what Celestron eyepieces you mean. The X-Cel LX series are very good, although I don't know who actually makes them. Celestron Plossls could be made by anyone. A lot of Plossls, regardless of what brand it states on the housing, are all made in the same Chinese factories. In my experience these are as good as anything. 

• Like 1

Depending on what eyepieces come with your telescope you'll probably find the low power one fine to use it might be a 20mm and that would work with the barlow as well. The high powered one you might find not so easy to use, why not wait until it arrives and take it from there. 

There are also several things that can be tried to help a small tripod be more stable.

I hope you enjoy your telescope.

The Celestron 8-24mm zoom eyepiece is also decent if you want to limit your purchases but have flexibility as it offers multiple powers in one unit. Individual quality eyepieces will offer better quality though, more cost and more to carry, if you use a 2x Barlow lens you don't need to buy as many individual eyepieces as the 2x doubles an eyepiece magnification (so a standard 30mm eyepiece will become a 15mm with the use of a 2x Barlow).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alexmar said:

One last question, does the quality of the eyepieces/barlow take a bit hit on the image quality? i was looking for some comparison between bad vs good lens, didn't find any good information. If it does make a big diference, is the celestron eyepieces a good brand to get it from?

Depends on the quality of the optics in the scope.   Using a well made costly branded eyepiece with a cheap scope with poor quality optics wont make the poor quality scope perform any better.  Those H6 and H20 eyepieces will be basic, but on occasion even basic eyepieces will give you reasonable images if the optics are of decent quality.  The Greika 40070M  you listed states it has coated optics, but doesn't mention anything about the type of optics used.  As to what you might see, read the reviews. (site translated into English from this site )

The telescope is good, it allows you to view the moon in some detail, but be careful with the tripod that comes with it, it is very fragile and small, it swings too much and makes you accidentally lose focus. The finderscope is very close to the telescope, and you need to mount it securely so that the telescope does not move, again, you are looking at a very small area of the sky. Planets appear only as points of light, and it may not be possible to observe them better in areas with a lot of light pollution. The barlow lens doesn't make much of a difference, it can even make the image worse, but at least the telescope mounts are standard size, so if you have another telescope or plan to mount a camera on it, the adaptation is easy.

Ye, i see. Thx for the information guys, i was kinda jumping into that, because shipping usualy takes to long, so i want to order it as soon as i can. If i enjoy it i already find a local manufacturer with great reviews from users and astro scholls, probable will order a 150mm reflector later this year. Again thanks for all the usefull information you guys provided, hopefull you guys will se me around asking more or even answer some question too. Cya

As someone has already said, at this price point, the better bet may be a pair of binoculars rather than a scope. I had some great fun with a pair of fairly cheap 15x70's.  You can get decent views of the moon, you can also see Jupiter's moons, some DSO's such as Androneda and The Orion nebula as well as star clusters.

If you really want a scope, I'd shop in the second hand market. You'll get more bang for your buck that way.  I think if you get a scope with poor optics, you may well become frustrated and give up the hobby before you've really begun. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lankywolf said:

As someone has already said, at this price point, the better bet may be a pair of binoculars rather than a scope. I had some great fun with a pair of fairly cheap 15x70's.  You can get decent views of the moon, you can also see Jupiter's moons, some DSO's such as Androneda and The Orion nebula as well as star clusters.

If you really want a scope, I'd shop in the second hand market. You'll get more bang for your buck that way.  I think if you get a scope with poor optics, you may well become frustrated and give up the hobby before you've really begun. 

I understand your point of view, but my spectations are very balanced, i do not expect see view as hubble, also i did alot of research about what i will be able to see with a 70mm relescope, i do have money to buy idk, a 1000$ telescope, i just dont know if is a hobby that i will persue,  the 70mm will give me some views of nebule and planets, i know i wont see big details, but if i want to see more, if i realy enjoy it, i will buy a bigger one. like i say, i am already in contact with a local manufacturer to buy a 150mm or 200mm reflector telescope.

Btw, it just arived, i played with it seeing some planes e far biulding, looks pretty good, adaptor for smartphone is a little bit tricky tho. hopefully the skies will be clear tonight:) 

Edited by Alexmar
  • Like 2