Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going on a trip (abroad) - suggestions for power tanks plz

I am leaving soon for a trip abroad and I still have not decided which power tank to get to power up my rig.

It should be able from full charge to keep the following parts going on for at least 4-5 hours. In another thread this was proposed to me? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank.html

AZ-GTi

AsiAir Plus

ZWO 533MC-Pro

Flying to Greece with Ryanair - if this makes any difference.

Many thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Edited by George Sinanis

Hi George I have a similar set up for my travel rig (AZ-GTi, ZWO 294MC Pro, 2Xdew heaters) - I found that this power tank has a tendency to cut out after 90 minutes or so yet still showing 1/2 charge. I suspect it could have been the 2 dew heaters running at 100% drawing too much power causing it to shut down - I've not had a chance to test the theory yet. I chose this powertank as it's 84wH capacity doesn't exceed the 100wH that some airlines specify. (Ryanair limit 160wH).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

I am leaving soon for a trip abroad and I still have not decided which power tank to get to power up my rig.

It should be able from full charge to keep the following parts going on for at least 4-5 hours. In another thread this was proposed to me? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank.html

AZ-GTi

AsiAir Plus

ZWO 533MC-Pro

Flying to Greece with Ryanair - if this makes any difference.

Many thanks in advance for your help 🙂

Just remember that the maximum batter size you are allowed (in a single unit) to carry onboard a airliner is 100WH.

Adam

• Thanks 1

I’m trying to find a way to use a simple Yuasa 12v battery. A lot of people vouch about it but, I have no clue on what cables are required to use it and power up the 3 items (Asiair, mount and ASI533MC pro). Any ideas?

Edited by George Sinanis

George,

Keep in mind that battery power will be used mostly by Peltier cooling of your camera, so you will definitely get less than 4 hours. Expect 1.5 hours max unless you set the cooling to a more "reasonable" temp than the 35° delta permitted by this camera.

If you find a cable with splitters you should get the job done. I did so in the past but now I use a Pegasus power box (the smallest version they have) to distribute power.

• Thanks 1

Good luck with the travel. Like many, I'm a little out of touch with the latest yes/no on travel rules.
I would though offer this general advice based on my history......

Check the airline 'small print' for what you can and cannot carry. Having checked it, print it and keep it with you.
I have had to argue more than once with check in staff on certain items and weight.

I have had security staff ask me to open up a camcorder for internal inspection and demonstrate that other electronics can be powered and show the expected display.
These people will see many more tablets, laptops and the like than astro powerbanks. There may be head scratching.
Take the printed copy of the powerbank manual with you.
Again, it solves arguments. What is it? How do we know it only 84Wh? Whatever Wh means🥴

Finally how will you carry the powerbank?
It is tempting to place it in hold luggage. It eats into your cabin allowance, tolerates low temperature in the hold and can be well wrapped.
However, common sense says that any battery or electronics failure, that may lead to fire, is better dealt with in the cabin.
Lithium rechargeable fires can be sorted using conventional extinguishers.

Hope it all goes well. David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all - i decided that the best solution will be to buy a veeeery long power lead when i get to Greece and use that as it is the most simple solution. Then i will leave it with someone as gift 🙂

Otherwise it is too complicated and i have not tried it beforehand. As most said, powertanks are good for up to few hours but, not a fully robust solution for longer runs.

Edited by George Sinanis