SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first Mono image - Tulip Widefield

Hi all.  I recently purchased a 2nd hand ASI1600GT to have a go at mono imaging.  This is my first image, an SHO of the Tulip nebula using the ZWO 1.25 Ha and OIII and a Baader SII (big halos on this filter).  About 4.5hrs on each filter with 5min exposures.  Taken with the Redcat51 and processed with Siril, Gimp, Starnet & Topaz.  The stars were really tricky so I'm not overly happy with them, the colours seemed to shift on each filter so had to spend some time in GIMP with the transformation tool to align them again.

As always I welcome any comments and guidance.

SHO_Final_Low_V1.jpg

• Like 12

A nice image. If that is your first narrowband, well done indeed.

Of the two I prefer the second. It is always tempting to push the stretch as far as you can to show all the swirling mysteries of the background nebulosity. However, the second version shows the primary target better, not oversaturated and with more easily seen details, and makes the surrounding nebulosity a more subtle and background feature. A better overall balance for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, old_eyes said:

A nice image. If that is your first narrowband, well done indeed.

Of the two I prefer the second. It is always tempting to push the stretch as far as you can to show all the swirling mysteries of the background nebulosity. However, the second version shows the primary target better, not oversaturated and with more easily seen details, and makes the surrounding nebulosity a more subtle and background feature. A better overall balance for me.

It is indeed my first.  I've used the L-eXtreme and tried the false Hubble in the past with my OSC camera.  This image was a number of firsts, first Mono-Narrowband and first with an OAG.

I'm sure in time I will refine my mono imaging processing skills in time, OSC is a breeze by comparison!