SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to start?

CKP

I recently watched a YouTube video which got me interested in EAA. I know nothing about it at the moment but the lad in the video made it look easy! Rather than using a raspberry pi and the stellarmate products, would it be better to use my laptop and either sharpcap or jocular instead of buying extra components and software? Is it just a personal choice, do they all do the same thing equally?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

While there'll be differences in graphical user interface and functionality between software available for laptops and for the RPi, the main difference is going to be processing power (and some software will run on both the PC/Mac and RPi so it is possible to do a useability comparison directly). 

A hybrid option is to split the functionality into stuff done at the mount using the RPi (capture, focus, etc) and stuff done on the laptop/desktop, perhaps in a warm space...  I've no personal experience of remote operation myself but others such as @Steve in Boulder do this kind of thing very successfully. In some ways this seems like the ideal solution so long as data transfer is 100% reliable. 

Martin

PS welcome to SGL (from a Stokie)!

• Like 1

Thanks for replying @Martin Meredith I like how portable it looks in the video, but then I already have a laptop so was thinking if it would be worth the extra cost? I guess it is just personal choice.

By the way I'm currently working in Burslem!

Hi, I was fascinated by the video. Do you already have a telescope? The set up shown in the video is wonderfully portable but with such a small scope you might quickly find it is somewhat limiting.

Mike

• Like 1

My setup is similar but I use a WO Z61 and an Asiair. Still very much portable as the whole setup fits into one bag. Many on the azgti owners forum thread have similar setups with the little mount that can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CKP said:

Currently I have the skywatcher heritage 130p and I was looking at the az gti for visual anyway. 

My setup is using a intel nuc which I can remote connect to via tablet/desktop.  The nuc can be either mounted with the scope or on the counter weight via a modified vesa TV mount.

• Like 1

First, that YouTube has been discussed in two long threads on Cloudy Nights.  While I haven’t tried the setup recommended in the Youtube myself, I’d say based on those threads that it hasn’t been uniformly smooth sailing for those who have. 

I started with the ASIAir Pro for EAA.  The associated iOS (and Android) app has a simple live stacking feature.  It has histogram adjustments and allows you to use calibration masters.  I still use it sometimes when I want to keep things simple.  I was able to get my first EAA view (M57, no surprise) after only an hour of futzing about.  So it’s a good way to start. 

But the live stacking feature of the ASIAir app is very limited.  So I moved to using Jocular for live stacking on my laptop.  As the ASIAir is still pretty good at managing all the other tasks for EAA - controlling the mount, plate solving, taking images, managing electronic focusers and filter wheels, etc. - I kept using it for that.  I run a simple script from a terminal to transfer image files from the ASIAir to the laptop, into Jocular’s watched directory.   This works pretty well, though using the script is a little bit clunky.  The other disadvantage with the ASIAir is you’re limited to ZWO products.  

Lately I’ve been using an inexpensive mini PC at the mount.  I run NINA (plus ASTAP and PhD2) on the mini PC to manage all the EAA tasks other than live stacking, and I run Jocular on the mini PC. I use Microsoft Remote Desktop on my laptop to interface with NINA and Jocular.  

All three of these setups were remote, operating over WiFi.  So I could sit inside (except when doing tasks like polar alignment) and watch the live stacks, well, come to life.  Or I can sit outside under the stars if it’s not too cold and the mosquitoes aren’t too bad.  

But you don’t need to do any of this to get started.  You can just take your laptop outside and hook it up to the mount and the camera. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve in Boulder said:

But you don’t need to do any of this to get started.  You can just take your laptop outside and hook it up to the mount and the camera. 

I'm glad you wrote this last paragraph. It seems like it can get a bit technical.

• Like 1

If you possess the ability to connect a computer and download and install and configure software settings to things then it's fairly straightforward. Troubleshooting comes with the territory unfortunately.

• Like 1

I would suggest you start with whatever kit you have to hand, see how you get on and take it from there. 

I started with a 102mm f5 achro scope mounted on a Celestron SLT mount, with ASI224MC camera and Sharpcap on a laptop for capture & live stacking.  I now have the 102mm achro on an EQ-5 Synscan, ASI224MC camera, with Sharpcap 4 on a newer laptop, with the ability to platesolce & resync.  Processing with PIPP and GIMP later improves the look of the saved images.

Also available: a CPC800 with f6.3 focal reducer if I want to try for more resolution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I would suggest you start with whatever kit you have to hand, see how you get on and take it from there. 

I very much agree with Geoff's advice. There is definitely not a single best set up, so to start with what you have keeps costs down and in the process much experience is gained. (This is what I did - even borrowed a camera at first to try on my 5" scope)

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elp said:

If you possess the ability to connect a computer and download and install and configure software settings to things then it's fairly straightforward. Troubleshooting comes with the territory unfortunately.

I possess the ability to follow instructions, troubleshooting will be a whole new learning curve for me. Its something I'm willing to learn, so hopefully that should see me through!

@Cosmic Geoff @Mike JW

I dont have a tracking mount at the moment but the az gti is highly praised and the price is fair, so I shall pick one of these up. The camera is the other part I don't have. The views are clear with the camera in the video and the price is affordable too. Is this the best option at this price point?

Hi CKP,

1. Check out what weight the AZGTI can carry - I think it can only carry up to 5kg, thus weight of scope/rings/mounting plate/camera does not want to exceed this weight.

2. I only have experience of lodestar/ultrastar camera but be aware that colour cameras are much less sensitive than a mono camera. I have never got into colour - personally I prefer mono unless viewing planetary nebulae and star clusters.

3. Do not assume the camera will be able to reach focus with your scope. I currently use a Dob and that limits me to which camera I can choose. Refractors and SCTs can accommodate all cameras as they have a large focus range.

Mike

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CKP said:

The views are clear with the camera in the video and the price is affordable too. Is this the best option at this price point?

The views ought to be clear with any camera.  The video actually mentions two cameras, and newer models are announced all the time.  I actually re-purposed a planetary camera, but it's up to you which model you go for.  More pixels and a physically large chip are (I assume) an advantage for EVAA, particularly if you want to capture large subjects.

• Like 1

I use the azgti in EQ mode with a 6kg payload, the counterweight is 2.25kg. Autoguiding regularly between 0.5-1.5 RMS. The setup is capable up to 300s single exposures with my 360mm FL refractor though I normally do 60-120s.

• Like 2

The heritage 130p telescope has a long dove tail bar already attached so no tube rings are required.

The heritage 130p trusses can be used not fully extended so focus can be reached with a camera.

There is a member using this telescope and azgti mount I'll add a link they have shared how they set it up for their particular use which isn't EEA but the post is showing the telescope on the mount you mention.

Link, the user also uses the azgti in altaz mode.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/?do=findComment&comment=4185739

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1