Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

low power eyepiece for ES Comet Hunter

pavel_s

I'm looking for a low power, wide field eyepiece for ES Comet Hunter, which is f4.8.

I currently use Nagler 22T4 as a low power EP, but I would like to go wider.

Nagler 26T5 would be my choice, but it is out of production and barely appears at used market.

I haven't tried Nagler 31T5, which would give me exit pupil 6.4 mm which seems to be too much. Had anyone tried that combination?

Nagler 22mm has 31.1mm field stop.

APM 30mm Ultra flat field has 36.4mm field stop, which is larger than 20mm XWA field stop and even 0.2mm larger than the 21mm Ethos.

And, it would work very well at f/4.8.

of course, the 31mm Nagler's field stop is 42.0mm........

I have a similar scope (Meade SN6 6" F/5 Schmidt Newton), and am very happy with both the Nagler 31T5 and the 22T4. The view with the Nagler 31T5 is excellent, and the 3.3 deg true FOV almost makes the finder scope surplus to requirements.  The sky background is of course little brighter than in the 22T4, but I used both EPs in this scope recently to catch comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS).