Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

3D Printer - Couple of points

StuartJPP

11 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

No idea what you would call mine now, started life as an ender 3 pro but have done quite a few upgrades like 4.2.7 motherboard running Jyers UI firmware/dual z axis motors/all metal extruder/ CR touch/ Capricorn bowden tubing/colour screen/ xy adjusters/led lighting/adjustable height dampening feet plus lots of other DIY bits and it prints reliably.

Alan

Lol it has evolved :) 

Jim 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vlaiv said:

With device for auto bed level - like probe attached next to print head - z offset is how you control things.

ABL device always determines absolute bed position regardless of how you level it (regular z end stop is not used any more).

There is some distance between tip of ABL probe and where you want your nozzle to be once print starts. This will determine distance between nozzle and bed and therefore thickness of first layer depending on amount of filament extruded.

I am talking about manual levelling, I don’t bother with auto, too much of a faff….👍🏼

7 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

I am talking about manual levelling, I don’t bother with auto, too much of a faff….👍🏼

It was a game-changer for me, but each to his own 😉 

One thing I found with pritt stick on a glass bed (I've tried em all 😁) was that if I left a large print to cool it would sometimes be very difficult to remove the print - to the point that I worried about the glass... 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

One thing I found with pritt stick on a glass bed (I've tried em all 😁) was that if I left a large print to cool it would sometimes be very difficult to remove the print - to the point that I worried about the glass... 

My Son has a glass bed on his printer and often has to stick the plate in the freezer to free up the print without having to resort to excess force, better than not enough adhesion though. I do like my flexible bed everything sticks well and just peels off although it does limit the printer to PLA only.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

53 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

stick the plate in the freezer

Oh, I wish! I had the Creality removable magnetic bed and I tried a glass bed clipped over the magnetic base for a few weeks as a test. The glass bed is now stuck like No More Nails... 😱

On the upside, I don't need to use clips any more 😂 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

I have never had any adhesion issues, I always have Z offset at 0 (where it should be) and bed level with a thin piece of paper, then wash the bed with soapy water, dry and give a good clean with IPA, never had to resort to any of these Pritt stick methods or anything like that, I do this about every 3 or 4 prints but do wipe down with IPA between each print, bed seems to stay level for a good while….👍🏼

Z-offset is zero.

The thing is that with a thin layer of Pritt the print adheres fine so I can only conclude that the bed is not as good as it used to be. Maybe I was a bit overzealous cleaning it?

I'll try light scouring as mentioned, nothing to lose.

Re: Auto bed levelling, I can see the appeal, but yet another thing to go wrong. If I was more of an enthusiast then I'd investigate but for now a manual tweak only takes a couple of minutes and it wasn't even off after the whole time the printer wasn't used.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adyj1 said:

does the glue on the bed, not ruin the bottom of the print, or does it still come off silky smooth with no flaws….?

16 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

To be honest, that pretty much describes my entire 3D printing experience. 😂 

Get the Voxelab Aquilla x2, it just works straight out of the box, never had an issue in 2 years, never had a print not stick, just bed level manually every few weeks, and just clean the bed with IPA before every print….blows the other cheap printers out of the water….in my opinion, I sent my creality rubbish straight back, and the Aquilla used many of the same parts too, so go figure…but the bed is different, and that maybe the issue….

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

does the glue on the bed, not ruin the bottom of the print, or does it still come off silky smooth with no flaws….?

Depends on how thick the Pritt layer is but it tends to melt away anyway.

I wouldn't say It is as smooth as on the original glass, but certainly better than not sticking.

• Like 1

Humidity issues depends on where in the world you live, we’re fairly okay in Blighty, I’ve not used a dehumidifier or even intend to.
My stock is either standard pla or better still, the plus. I’ve had issues with one colour not wanting to stick and that’s white. 
All my filaments are esun and I will stick to the same supplier, that ensures uniformity in supply quality as far as I’m concerned.

I have just used prittstick on my ender 2 as it seems to have a dodgy surface, nothing likes to stick to it, yet they stick to all my other printer build surfaces, PEI, glass and magnetic.

chaz

• Like 1

My most useful print to date and the only one so far I felt worth uploading to Thingiverse :)   It's not astro related but this simple tool has saved me no amount of frustration in setting the end float of the wheel bearings on my Mgb.  The concept was adapted from a different diy solution that appeared on an Mgb forum.  I thought it lent itself so well to 3D printing so I made this.  It was also my first imperial left handed thread;  the Ender 5 handled it without a hiccup.  I love the ready utility offered by 3D printers; you have an idea, you design it and by the end of the day you can hold it in your hand :)   Back in the 1980s at university (mechanical engineering) we could never have imagined such a thing. I wonder now how those courses have changed what with personal computers, internet, 3d printing  - it's a kind of magic lol.  

Jim

Wheel Bearing End Float Tool 1.jpg

Wheel Bearing End Float Tool 4.jpg

Wheel Bearing End Float Tool 3.jpg

• Like 2