SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mini pc question

Decided to attach a mini pc to my pier instead of using my 15m usb lead and laptop. It's arriving in a few hours, is there much benefit in reinstalling Windows to an nvme drive I have spare instead of the emmc that it comes installed on? I know the nvme is much faster but does that really make a difference for pier control? 

Well, I have read yes, it’s much better, it certainly is on the new range of Mele quieter 2 and 3 mini PC’s, this has been discussed at length on the NINA discord forum, and there are a few YouTube videos about setting it up my a guy called Patriot Astro….HTH…👍🏼

2 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Well, I have read yes, it’s much better, it certainly is on the new range of Mele quieter 2 and 3 mini PC’s, this has been discussed at length on the NINA discord forum, and there are a few YouTube videos about setting it up my a guy called Patriot Astro….HTH…👍🏼

I've seen patriots Nina videos but haven't seen any about the emmc/nvme choice. I got the new mele 3q. 8gb/128. I've got a new wd 500gb nvme in the cupboard and wasn't sure whether to use it for the windows install or put it in an enclosure for image transfer to processing laptop. 

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

I've seen patriots Nina videos but haven't seen any about the emmc/nvme choice. I got the new mele 3q. 8gb/128. I've got a new wd 500gb nvme in the cupboard and wasn't sure whether to use it for the windows install or put it in an enclosure for image transfer to processing laptop. 

I think most of the discussion on NVME or not, is on the discord forum…

9 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Just joined the discord and asked in the main chat. I'm kinda new to discord, is there an easy way to search the discussions? 

Go back to the beginning of July on the equipment tab, under astrophotography….

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Just joined the discord and asked in the main chat. I'm kinda new to discord, is there an easy way to search the discussions? 

There is a search bar at the top, just enter whatever it is you want and it'll bring up a list of conversations containing those terms. I think you'll then get a chance to go older etc etc

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Windows to an nvme drive I have spare instead of the emmc that it comes installed on?

FWIW I use a Mele Quieter 2 and I added extra nvme for data storage but left the operating system and programs on the existing emmc. Technically it may be better to put everything on a new drive, but I have had no issues running 2 x NINA with PHD2 on my dual rig. If it ain't broke.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

If you do decide to move your Windows 10 install to the NVMe drive, Macrium Reflect can do this for free.

Lol, exactly how I do it, clone the old drive onto the new one, and then format the old one, and as you say Macrium is superb, used it many times…..👍🏼