Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggestions for a guide scope

Hi, I am looking at the option of upgrading my current Guide scope to a more ridged setup.

I currently have a Orion 60mm, while i am getting good results,  i am having to sometime retighten the 3 screws holding it,  the setup is all pulled down each night and packed away,   i have it setup on a dovetail, so it just slides on when i set up.

No drams of the mount holding the extra weight, I have an iOptron CEM120
The main imaging scope is a Skywatcher esprit 150,  imaging camera is asi2600mc
The guide camera is asi290mm mini

I was hoping i could get some advice on what might be a good ridged guide scope,  ( one without those 3 screws holding the tube )
Would something like the Skywatcher 62ED EVOLUX be a good choice?

Trying to get roughly the same field of view as i currently have would be best if possible
I like the idea of being able to focus using the focus knobs rather than that twist helical focuser setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 hours ago, bluesilver said:

Hi, I am looking at the option of upgrading my current Guide scope to a more ridged setup.

I currently have a Orion 60mm, while i am getting good results,  i am having to sometime retighten the 3 screws holding it,  the setup is all pulled down each night and packed away,   i have it setup on a dovetail, so it just slides on when i set up.

No drams of the mount holding the extra weight, I have an iOptron CEM120
The main imaging scope is a Skywatcher esprit 150,  imaging camera is asi2600mc
The guide camera is asi290mm mini

I was hoping i could get some advice on what might be a good ridged guide scope,  ( one without those 3 screws holding the tube )
Would something like the Skywatcher 62ED EVOLUX be a good choice?

Trying to get roughly the same field of view as i currently have would be best if possible
I like the idea of being able to focus using the focus knobs rather than that twist helical focuser setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

The 62ED seems a little overkill to me, I would not have thought that you would need more than a 50mm guide scope to be honest. Maybe even a ASKAR FMA180. 

If you really want to go bigger then how about this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/william-optics-guidestar-61.html

Adam

18 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Have you thought of using a oag instead of a separate guidescope?

Yes, i was going to do another post in regards to that, a few people say that with longer focal lengths, you are better of with an OAG

I have a second had Standard ZWO OAG that i picked up cheap a while ago,  but haven't had any luck getting it to pick up stars,  got the two in focus during the day time, just no luck at night.

I was thinking i may have to go to the ZWO OAG-L with the larger prism and window to work well the asi2600mc and asi290mm mini.

Would that be a better choice?

I've seen that many struggle with the zwo oag and maybe it's because of the small prism..must admit that I don't know zwo made a version with a larger prism.. I'd think that it would make a difference... I use a qhy 290 with a Celestron oag and I've never had any issues finding guidestars once I set it up right... It sat in the cupboard for 2 years because I needed a short m48 to SCT adapter.. good ol Celestron...