Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI224 Adapter size

sorrimen

Hi all

Need to buy a 1.25” nosepiece for my new asi224. The zwo one is about £20, so would rather get something cheaper. Are T/T2 adapters compatible with the camera? It seems to be listed as M42 and I’ve read that they have different thread pitches, but then the diagrams say M42*0.75 (T/T2 thread pitch size) so I’m a bit confused. 

Cheers

Ross

p.s. I know there should be one in the box, but I bought an ‘as new’ one and the seller helpfully didn’t mention that it was missing, then refused to help me with the cost of a new one, so here am I looking for the cheapest option!

The ASI224 body connects to a T or T2 thread. I have some of these adapters and they fit - sorry I can't be more specific.  It also screws into a flip mirror diagonal I own.  You should be able to find something that gives a 1.25 nosepiece, but note you do not have to connect the camera that way.  It also has a 2" diameter section, BTW.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The ASI224 body connects to a T or T2 thread. I have some of these adapters and they fit - sorry I can't be more specific.  It also screws into a flip mirror diagonal I own.  You should be able to find something that gives a 1.25 nosepiece, but note you do not have to connect the camera that way.  It also has a 2" diameter section, BTW.

Ah great thanks a lot. Yeah I think I’m unable to get enough backfocus that way, and with my barlow being 1.25” I think I have to get the adapter! 

1 hour ago, sorrimen said:

Ah great thanks a lot. Yeah I think I’m unable to get enough backfocus that way, and with my barlow being 1.25” I think I have to get the adapter! 

If you do get the adapter, make sure it is threaded to allow for filters. I have a couple of these nosepieces - the Zwo one is threaded but the other one isn't so just something to double check.

13 hours ago, Peter_D said:

If you do get the adapter, make sure it is threaded to allow for filters. I have a couple of these nosepieces - the Zwo one is threaded but the other one isn't so just something to double check.

You know what, I didn’t even check before I bought it but I’ve looked again and it does have filter threads. Almost saved me a bit of a headache there thank you!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elp said:

M42s do fit but I suppose it depends on their threads, the 8 and the 4 are astro essentials:

562337824_DSC_25562.thumb.JPG.6c5621f75bb31a7aa146ec0ce5a8f2c9.JPG

Yeah it’s slightly annoying that they describe it as an M42 to 1.25” nosepiece when in reality it’s got the T/T2 thread. Got a cheap ebay one, but if that fails astroessentials it is.

Tbh, I doubt much photographic equipment has a 1mm thread pitch as it's quite coarse, I've just checked the following with a thread gauge and they all look to be 0.75mm pitch (the 1mm was no match):

Zwo 1.25 nosepiece adaptor,

Astro essentials m42 spacer ring,

224mc camera body nosepiece/m42 thread in front of the sensor,

A canon tring adaptor.

Edited by Elp

1 hour ago, sorrimen said:

You know what, I didn’t even check before I bought it but I’ve looked again and it does have filter threads. Almost saved me a bit of a headache there thank you!

Cool.

I mostly use the recommended UV-IR cut filter and I screw it in the nosepiece at the sensor end and just leave the nose piece on the whole time.  The filter at the sensor end stays cleaner I find than if it were at the end of the adapter.

3 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

If you purchased this new, it should have come with nosepiece adapter. Atleast mine did.

Yeah unfortunately I bought it off someone. They didn’t mention it was missing, which was slightly irritating, and for £20 I wanted to find a cheaper alternative. 

On 20/07/2022 at 12:53, Elp said:

Tbh, I doubt much photographic equipment has a 1mm thread pitch as it's quite coarse, I've just checked the following with a thread gauge and they all look to be 0.75mm pitch (the 1mm was no match):

Zwo 1.25 nosepiece adaptor,

Astro essentials m42 spacer ring,

224mc camera body nosepiece/m42 thread in front of the sensor,

A canon tring adaptor.

Oh interesting. Knew nothing about threading before this so it’s quite good I’ve got it out the way early. Still a little frustrating they label things as M42 when they’re actually T/T2!

On 20/07/2022 at 12:57, Peter_D said:

Cool.

I mostly use the recommended UV-IR cut filter and I screw it in the nosepiece at the sensor end and just leave the nose piece on the whole time.  The filter at the sensor end stays cleaner I find than if it were at the end of the adapter.

Yeah just got my filter today, will follow this advice. Thanks!

31 minutes ago, sorrimen said:

Oh interesting. Knew nothing about threading before this so it’s quite good I’ve got it out the way early. Still a little frustrating they label things as M42 when they’re actually T/T2!

The m42 relates to it being for a 42mm diameter hole, it's the same with bolts though if you measure the holes for them they're usually slightly smaller due to measuring at the peak of the threads.

On 20/07/2022 at 12:57, Peter_D said:

I'd never have thought of that. But the adapter is threaded all the way through, and there is a recess at the inner end.

OTOH it is much easier to swap between filters, e.g. visual and IR pass, if they are screwed on the outer end.