SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which one to mod? 450D/600D/50D

Hi guys!

Maybe some of you will remember that some time ago, I bought a battered 450D and converted it to full spect. myself - I was pretty proud of myself for that. 
Searching for an upgrade on this 450D who has seen better days, I bought a very decent fully functional 50D with low shutter count for pocket money - thinking that the sensor upgrade would be a nice project.

But here is the thing: the GF uses my old 600D (since I myself upgraded to a 70D) and as the astromod of the 600D does not require soldering (which the 50D does) and the 50D has a much better FPS, I am wondering if it would not make more sense to give her the 50D and mod the 600D (then get rid of the 450D modded if anyone is interested)

Or does it make sense to go on with the original plan to mod the 50D? As I want to upgrade on the 450D but I don't want the GF to "downgrade" in the process.

All thoughts and input welcome! 

3 pics taken with the 450D modded for tax (450Da+CC+CLS+130PDS+CG5-GT+Nina, all from Bournemouth UK, borttle 6) 

NGC7380.jpeg

Orion.jpeg80.20220716.jpg

Horsehead.print.jpg

Edited by FrenchyArnaud
Wrong pic

Here's a rough breakdown of the three cameras:

50D   DIGIC 4  15.1Mp  2005

450D DIGIC 3  12.2Mp  2008

600D DIGIC 4  18Mp     2011    Swivel LCD screen

The 50D will be better constructed than the 600D.

One might expect lower noise figures for the 6 years newer 600D.

The 600D's swivel screen would be the clincher for some users.

The 50D will probably have a shimmed sensor, easier to get the sensor back without tilt than the spring-loaded 600D sensor.

Michael

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

I am wondering if it would not make more sense to give her the 50D and mod the 600D (then get rid of the 450D modded if anyone is interested)

The 600D and 450D are cheap as chips, at least here in Norway. I have two of each, one modded and one stock. Both are easy to mod, and well documented on Gary Honis's site. I use all four on a regular basis, depending on the target. I'd keep the 450D, maybe buy another, mod it, and resell that?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Buy your girlfriend a 60D and mod the 600D 😀 

Alan

Actually that is not as ludicrous as it sounds, a 60D can be found under £150 : how much could I resell the 50D if I mod it, considering it has a grip, 2 new batteries, low shutter and a remote...? That's something I need to investigate. Pretty sure that for the resell price of the 50D and the 450D combined, I can find her a decent 60D or maybe even a 70D body only 😇 And I still would upgrade my 450D to a 600D in the process...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I modified the 50D and tested it - extremely pleased with the result! So I will keep it after all.

The 450D is up for grabs now, see the "for sale/swap" subforum here:

As for the 50D, this is only just over one hour, the bubble 

Bubble_50D.82mins.SQUARE.thumb.jpeg.ad35ac5e174576f442b74d479419c741.jpeg

• Like 2