SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY cover for AllSky Camera

tomato

I’ve been getting concerned about how many dead pixels are showing up on my AllSky Camera sensor which I have put down to it being exposed to direct sunlight day in day out. 
So Mrs Tomato kindly donated a perfect Tupperware storage bowl with the exact ID to push fit over the clear dome fixing screws. A quick rub down with 400 grit paper to provide a key for the paint and a coat of primer and VW silver and it’s in place. 
I will just need to get used to taking it off and putting it on…

0DF364F5-142C-4E30-834C-1F4C1A8F8F95.thumb.jpeg.4519482bf8d096def6f40d34fb3f77f4.jpeg

• Like 6

That’s interesting. My conclusion is solely based on the qualitative observation that the ASI 120 MC-S in the AllSky camera is exhibiting a lot more dead pixels than my other astro cameras which don’t get the exposure to sunlight. There isn’t enough to impact adversely on the night sky images, but they are noticeable at twilight.

Of course, I should have taken a measurement when it was installed.