SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece recommendation

Since I recently moved to a new apartment with a rooftop, I wanted to get a new scope for planetary imaging, but also observing. There's nothing like showing Saturn's rings to friends coming over for diner!

So far I've been using a 4" Maksutov, which is very nice to get started, but I think it's time to upgrade.

So the other day I purchased a 8" Classical Cassegrain telescope, after much deliberation. I really can't wait to use it, but I'll need some additional equipment first.

I only have (and looked through) the basic eyepieces provided with my cheap 102mm Maksutov. Can't say they're bad, since they showed me things I'll never forget! But I'd like something worth mounting on the new scope.

What eyepiece(s) would you recommend?

A bit of context:

- I'm mainly an imager, so my knowledge about eyepieces is close to non-existent

- I have a 2" William Optics diagonal, a 28mm Sky-Watcher eyepiece (from my Newtonian), a couple 1.25" diagonals (90/45) (the cheap ones), a 2.5x 1.25" Barlow from TS Optics (a mid-range one, from what I've read) and a couple entry level Plössl (10mm & 25mm)

- My goal is mainly to observe planets, the Moon, double stars... and perhaps look at some bright DSOs if the scope allows it, but that's secondary

- I live in a Bortle 7, but in the future I might join some folks in the country side for star parties

- I'm looking for 1, maximum 2 eyepieces to get started

- I don't want to break the bank (said everyone in a his hobby...)

- I'm 32, so I guess I'm starting a lifelong collection 

- I'm wearing glasses

I'd love to hear your recommendations! Also if you have some articles or documentation about eyepieces for beginners, feel free to throw them in!

Thank you!

Edited by Space Oddities

47 minutes ago, Space Oddities said:

a couple entry level Naglers

Nothing entry level about Naglers! I'd start with those. Which ones do you have?

Also, in order to make suggestions we need to know how much you are willing to spend on each eyepiece.

Sorry, I meant Plössl, not Nagler!

It's basically the 2 eyepieces (10mm and 25mm) sold with most entry level scopes nowadays. I assume they're also entry level, but it's hard to say, having never peered into higher end ones!

In terms of budget, it's hard to say... Maybe 200-250£ max in total. I'll probably try to find used ones anyway. I don't mind investing in something that will last a few years, but my focus being imaging, I can't justify spending a lot on eyepieces. Guess I'm looking for the best bang for the buck!

Sky-Watcher_SkyMax-102S_AZ_Pronto_1%5B5%

Edited by Space Oddities

OK - those things in the picture are only supplied to get you going. We all have them in a box in a cupboard, somewhere.

When you say you have glasses, is that purely for short-sightedness or do you have astigmatism, too?

And the mount - are you using a Goto/tracking mount, or will you be finding things and following them manually?

A slow scope like your Mak will be very forgiving on eyepieces, so you won't have to spend a fortune on fancy glass.

Thanks Pixies. I'm short-sighted only, no astigmatism (so far!).

The mount I'm using is a RainbowAstro RST-135, with Go-To. I'll probably keep my ASIAIR and guide scope connected, to polar align the mount and use the plate solving functionality. So finding objects shouldn't be a problem!

For planetary work I have a soft spot for a variable and a 2x Barlow.  Particularly if I am just showing people stuff.  

I'll assume you have an f12 Cassegrain, in which case at 2436mm focal length your Barlow won't be of much use. A 25mm eyepiece with that would give x244 which is about as high as you ever want to go with a 203mm.

A 12mm eyepiece would give you x203 - perfect for planets. I use Vixen SLVs which are available at £118. The Televue Delite comes in either 13mm or 11mm for £247, but I wouldn't say they are better than the SLVs. The Baader Morpheus is highly regarded and comes in a 12.5mm size at £237 - they do have a 76° field of view.

If you don't mind zoom eyepieces, the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Click-stop Zoom is £237. That would take you from x102 (24mm) to x305 (8mm). A very useful range. The x305 would be great for close doubles.

• Like 2

i had the vixen slv,s  very nice eyepieces smallish fov by todays standard, thats why i changed to baader morphs but i didnt have a motorised set up. the vixens are very nice glass though. hope this is of help. paul.

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

A 25mm eyepiece with that would give x244 which is about as high as you ever want to go with a 203mm.

Did you mean 10mm eyepiece?  If so, I would wholeheartedly agree.

An f/12 scope is very forgiving on eyepieces.  Even cheaper, simpler eyepieces can be decent at the edge in it.

A Barlow could be useful to up the power while maintaining long eye relief with longer focal length eyepieces so you can wear your eyeglasses at higher powers.  On the other hand, the exit pupil gets small rather quickly at f/12, so eyeglasses might not be needed for astigmatism correction.

Yeah - if you are only short-sighted, you can observe fine without glasses and let the focuser do the work of your specs. It'll also mean you don't need to worry about finding EPs with longer eye-relief.  

As others have said, you have a big choice. Eye-relief is not an issue and neither do you have to worry about paying for super-corrected optics with an F12. Also, if you aren't going to be needing a wide low powered EP to help you find objects, or require a wide FOV to keep objects in view while manually tracking, your choice of a FOV is purely down to aesthetic preferences. 

You might want to consider a 24mm-8mm zoom eyepiece, which will give you a great range of magnifications (100x - 300x), although the lower-powers have quite a narrow FOV. It'll use up most of your budget unless you can find one secondhand.

Otherwise, 4 EPs (say 25mm, 17mm, 12mm, 8mm), that'll be 4x £60. I think it'll be hard to beat BST Starguiders at that price point.

or 3 EPs (say 25mm, 15mm, 8mm), 3 x £80. Consider something like Celestron X-Cel LX

The above are all 60deg FOV EPs. There are loads of other options, and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. Contact FLO as well. 

I've bought all sorts of eyepieces over the years mainly sticking to the plossl variety (even though I image mainly too) and the one I've used most often is my WO swan 9mm, from my experience you can tell an eyepiece is good if it doesn't suffer much from internal reflections/light spread when viewing ha solar (though this is a specific viewing case different from night), it is also sharp with and without a Barlow when looking at planets though your eye has to be right up to it. I wear glasses too but find when viewing they're normally propped on top of my head. The TVs have given the absolute sharpest in terms of minimal CA though I've also owned a cheap 20mm eyepiece which has given me 95% that the TV 20mm does, I do find their narrow fov a bit uncomfortable though and don't particularly like the 11mm, they also aren't very good for ha solar. The vixen npl 30mm gives nice sharp and contrasty views and comfortable eye relief but can suffer distortion around the edge. I have a Meade uwa 8.8mm which is also excellent as it's 82 Deg fov, so those with other 82s will concur the benefit of wide angle eyepieces. Also think about zoom eyepieces as they cover a wide range, the Celestron 8-24mm is decent, it will not however give the same sharp result as a dedicated eyepiece. You've got the Barlow's so a decent 30 and 20mm will probably be a good start as they'll magnify down to 15 and 10mm with a 2x.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I'm going to also recommend the BST Starguiders.  I've found by 8mm far more comfortable to use than other eyepieces I've got (mostly ones that come with the scope and a couple of SVBONY, including the 8-24mm zoom) this has little to do with the view (though it is very nice), but mostly because I find the more solid cup VERY comfortable to use.  With my neaderthal brow I can rest my eyebrow on the cup and it just keep everything nicely focused and comfortable.  Just easier all round to keep everything where it is meant to be.

Basically I'd say if you have only experienced eyepieces with the flip up eyecup and you view without glasses then I'd highly recommend you at least try one with a twist up eyecup.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the helpful recommendations! :) Finding the right eyepiece isn't easy when getting started, it's really a whole new world for me. I feel like starting the hobby all over again!

I just bought a Baader 8-24 zoom, it has great reviews and I think the convenience of the zoom will be helpful in the beginning. 

Can't wait to receive it :) 

Cheers

Edited by Space Oddities
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

Thank you everyone for the helpful recommendations! :) Finding the right eyepiece isn't easy when getting started, it's really a whole new world for me. I feel like starting the hobby all over again!

I just bought a Baader 8-24 zoom, it has great reviews and I think the convenience of the zoom will be helpful in the beginning. 

Can't wait to receive it :) 

Cheers

I think you will be pleased with the Baader Hyperion zoom. It works well with the matching Barlow.

• Like 1