Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and an attempt at C/2017 K2 Panstarrs

badhex

Hello all

Went out on the night of the 14th to attempt C/2017 K2 Panstarrs with my TS102 whilst at its closest approach.

After a few mins M10 was easily found in the Lacerta ED 40mm at 18x. I framed up the area and variously switched between the APM 24mm UFF (31x), Morpheus 17.5mm (41x) and Pentax XW 10mm (71x) to try and find the right balance of background contrast and light gathering. Definitely in the right place, but not convinced I really picked it up even after around an hour or more of trying, even with averted vision. By 0100 the moon had appeared from behind a building and was starting to kill the contrast even more, so I decided C/2017 K2 Panstarrs was not to be under Bortle 7 on a basically full moon! I may try again with the C5 or from a darker location before it departs. 

A bit disappointed with my rubbish skies, I switched to the other side of the sky for a somewhat risen Jupiter, clocking an unknown double by accident whilst panning around. 
With the 2.5x barlowed 10mm (179x) and non-barlowed 4.5mm (159x), the equatorial belts were pretty clear, but somewhat wobbly seeing meant the SEB was less so a lot of the time. Clouds turned up not long after. 
Moved over to the Double Cluster while I waited, with the 40mm, then the 24mm. Really very beautiful in the 24mm. Switched up to the 17.5mm for a touch more contrast. 
Moved back over to Jupiter once the clouds had cleared, seeing a touch better. Convinced I saw the GRS but hastily-googled tables say no transit at this time. Switched out to my BCO 10mm with 2.5x Barlow (179x). Very nice views during moments of clarity, the BCO proving itself once again - I thereupon made the decision I should probably upgrade my GSO Barlow to a Powermate for the coming planet season. 
The lower SEB was looking distinctly humped and GRS-like in moments of clarity, and I noted it was almost at the midway point of the belt at 0144.
Moon was now causing a loss of contrast due to local LP and the clouds came back so time to call it! 

Once back inside, I checked Stellarium - which I have previously distrusted to give me accurate GRS transit info - and this is what it showed at 0144 for Jupiter:

Screenshot_20220715-022508.thumb.jpg.59321fd537b21f14f186135a9bd83663.jpg

Still pleased with a few hours observing despite no Panstarrs, I went to bed happy!

Edited by badhex
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice report. I like the ‘wordy version’ 👍

Haha thanks, I always like to give folks the tl;dr highlights in the other thread with the option of a wordy version here 😅

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, badhex said:

Haha thanks, I always like to give folks the tl;dr highlights in the other thread with the option of a wordy version here 😅

That’s a great option 👍. I like to see people writing up their own reports so they can be commented on more easily. Stuff just gets lost in those long threads. Thanks 👍

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

That’s a great option 👍. I like to see people writing up their own reports so they can be commented on more easily. Stuff just gets lost in those long threads. Thanks 👍

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 1

Hi Badhex, for what it's worth, C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS is difficult to see here in the southern hemisphere as well. The moon and my bortle 6 skies made it difficult as I was barely visible using averted vision.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Badhex, for what it's worth, C/2017 K2 PANSTARRS is difficult to see here in the southern hemisphere as well. The moon and my bortle 6 skies made it difficult as I was barely visible using averted vision.

Thanks Epick, what size scope were you using? I tried again last night but ophiuchus being lower down (I was out later), plus transparency and the moon meant I struggled to even find the right area of sky! 

• Like 1

I have had a couple of clear nights but with the moon and not going dark until well past midnight I haven't bothered getting the scope out.

Great read and the picture is amazing, Ophiuchus is low and and in the South bad position for me unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I have had a couple of clear nights but with the moon and not going dark until well past midnight I haven't bothered getting the scope out.

Great read and the picture is amazing, Ophiuchus is low and and in the South bad position for me unfortunately.

Thanks Paul, yes Ophiuchus is not really well placed for me either - low and over the city - which is part of the problem I think. I wish the picture was mine but its just a snap from Stellarium with the GRS right where I believed I'd observed it at that time 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, badhex said:

Thanks Epick, what size scope were you using? I tried again last night but ophiuchus being lower down (I was out later), plus transparency and the moon meant I struggled to even find the right area of sky! 

I was using my 10 inch dobsonian.

• Like 1