SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

(Another) M51 to add to the pile...

RichieJarvis

Well - there is nothing like being original, is there!

Shot this one last night whilst Stephen Green, MikeP and some non-SGL friends were over...

Bit pig sick about my &$^%%! Ha data though... I made the fatal error of not going back to check the first sub immediately it came up - was shooting 10 minute Ha subs - I had tweaked the focus, so was cropped on a single star to get a decent FWHM value - of course, when I came back to check the Ha data an hour and a half later, I discovered I had not removed the crop! D'oh! Kick myself, of course :)

Then happened the second fatal error of the night whilst I was putting bins, etc away after friends had gone home @ 2am - and managed to kick the power switch on the PSU, turning off power to the mount, filter-wheel, dew heaters etc :) It was then that I grew a brain, decided I was too tired and called it a night.

Anyway, here is the data without any Ha included - must grab that at a later date. Its not up to the standard of some of the outstanding M51's that have been posted this week - but its the best I have ever managed, so I am happy.

I'll run this to Astrometry.net and report back with what I think are 2 other galaxies in the image as well.

Image Details:

Date: 2009-03-21

Scope: Astro Professional 102ED with 0.66 FR

Camera: SXV-H9

Exposure (L): 11 x 600 seconds - 1x1

Exposure ®: 9 x 200 seconds - 2x2

Exposure (G): 9 x 200 seconds - 2x2

Exposure (:D: 9 x 200 seconds - 2x2

Guidescope: GSO 8" F/4

Guidecamera: SX Guidehead

2009-03-21-M51-L11x600-RGB9x200-Final-Small.jpg

Oh, and I tried TJ's suggestion of boosting the colour data - I took each channel, converted it to RGB (otherwise CS2 will not let you set it as luminance), duplicated it, made the top layer blend mode 'soft-light', made the bottom layer blend mode 'luminosity', and then flattened and converted back to grayscale. Worked a treat - not only did it boost the colour data, but also significantly darkened the background automatically. Thanks for the hint TJ!Cheers!

Richie

Having watched this image being constructed certainly adds to its appeal. On several occasions while the subs were rolling in, I tried in vain to find it with my 10x50 binos - it is fascinating that something that could not be seen can be revealed in such detail in this image. Beautiful - nice work Richie.

Thanks also for your hospitality. It was a lovely evening with great company. Sorry I ate so many of your biscuits!!!!

Oh and yes - come on Stephen, lets see the M81/82 you were working on.

Mike

For all the headaches, you got a good result Richie.

Mistakes are part and parcel of this game, so much to keep track of.

I expect to be tearing my hair out once I get going.

MikeP is a bit of a Gannet when there is food about I've been told, so you woun't have many biscuits left.:)

Ron.:)

You have me lost there a bit Rich, i'm not sure thats exactly how it goes, :) but whatever, the results a good 'un.

Somebody, I forget who sadly, posted about the "Gabany" method. I had stumbled upon something similar by chance, but the way it was described was nice. Dunno how it would work with your rgb data though.

Stargazer - A Private Observatory In The Heart Of Europe

Thanks to the original poster. Sorry I forgot who you are, Les maybe?

Thanks all...

Mike - between you and I, there were not a lot of biscuits left - but thats why I brought them (or sent the wifey out to get them! - shes a diamond I tell ya :)) I am a bit of a food fiend myself... Mind you, they were pretty much frozen by the end of the night!

I need to read up on the GaBany method myself....

I've got to process Stephen's M81/M82 up - hopefully later today once the Sister-in-law, twins and Ollie have departed.

Cheers,

Richie

Oh, and heres the Astrometry data for that image from Flickr.com

Hello, this is the blind astrometry solver. Your results are:

(RA, Dec) center:(202.489725506, 47.2196528665) degrees

(RA, Dec) center (H:M:S, D:M:S):(13:29:57.534, +47:13:10.750)

Orientation:-87.31 deg E of N

Pixel scale:3.06 arcsec/pixel

Parity:Normal ("Right-handed")

Field size :52.16 x 39.12 arcminutes

Your field contains:

IC 4263

NGC 5194 / M 51 / Whirlpool galaxy

NGC 5195 / M 51 / Whirlpool galaxy

Thanks,

Richie

Archived