Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher 200P

I'm slowly going through the suggestions on various posts to improve use of our 8" dob. RACI finderscope on it's way, hopefully save our backs. Got some decent ep's, 2x barlow and moon filter. I've also seen discussions on raising the hight of the whole instrument. Some screwing 3 legs to the bottom plate of the lazy susan and some standing the whole unit on a water butt stand. I'm a bit reluctant to make any permanent alterations while it's still under warranty, but the water bases seem quite a bit smaller than the 52cm diameter of the base. At present OK with viewing on the patio, sitting on a workshop stool but concerned with how well the base would stand up to being positioned on wet grass and not having something to sit one. 

TIA,

Malcolm.

1 hour ago, malgpz900 said:

I've also seen discussions on raising the hight of the whole instrument.

It will wobble. Imaging you sit with the scope in your lap. Firm and sturdy. I bought a stool, like this:

The tray is removable, toss it away. Was this what you meant? Highly recommended.  Requiers a solid foundation. You spin the stool around with the dob, and raises and lowers it as needed. Time flies, and no bad backs. And you follow the objects automaticly, without thinking.

Edited by Rallemikken

4 minutes ago, Rallemikken said:

It will wobble. Imaging you sit with the scope in your lap. Firm and sturdy. I bought a stool, like this:

The tray is removable, toss it away. Was this what you meant? Highly recommended.  Requiers a solid foundation. You spin the stool around with the dob, and raises and lowers it as needed. Time flies, and no bad backs. And you follow the objects automaticly, without thinking.

Yeah, that what I'm already using. OK on a hard surface, don't know what it will be like on grass. Probably over thinking a problem I may not have. I'll see how well the RACI finder scope works and take it from there.

20220715_181121.jpg

44 minutes ago, malgpz900 said:

Yeah, that what I'm already using. OK on a hard surface, don't know what it will be like on grass. Probably over thinking a problem I may not have.

I've the 250P. On the local freecycle group someone was giving away scrap metal, including four steel sheets each about 100mm square and perhaps 2mm thick. A light sanding down and a coat of paint and, voila, a light-weight easily portable solution to the grass problem.

• Like 1

I recommend a wide separate base like a low stool then you will not have to screw legs directly onto your dob base. I made a separate base and found it made moving the dob easier.  I found 300mm high works well for me.

if you drill shallow holes into the top of the new base in the correct place then the existing feet on the dob will locate and sit on the base very safely. 

Robin

• Thanks 1