SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star sense app configuration issue

Hi there,

First time poster, new member.

I was gifted a Star Sense Explorer DX 102AX. I am now trying to configure the app for navigation.

When i go through the quick setup, the camera view does not appear in the app as it does at 2:10 in this video : https://youtu.be/kjZ9xakQSsw?t=130

I am unable to configure the camera because of this. I have spent the last hour searching online for an answer to this but cannot turn up anything.

Has anyone experienced this before or can point me in the direction of the info ?

I searched here on the forum and also found nothing.

Thanks

C

1 hour ago, cathal said:

Hi there,

First time poster, new member.

I was gifted a Star Sense Explorer DX 102AX. I am now trying to configure the app for navigation.

When i go through the quick setup, the camera view does not appear in the app as it does at 2:10 in this video : https://youtu.be/kjZ9xakQSsw?t=130

I am unable to configure the camera because of this. I have spent the last hour searching online for an answer to this but cannot turn up anything.

Has anyone experienced this before or can point me in the direction of the info ?

I searched here on the forum and also found nothing.

Thanks

C

Are you getting a pure white screen in daytime or a pure black screen when it goes to the camera view?

You might need to go into the advanced camera controls and adjust the settings.

Thanks for the info both.

The cover is off the mirror 🙂

In daytime it gives a pure white screen, but no matter how i adjust the settings (ISO,exposure etc) it doesn't fix it.

In the night time it shows a picture, and it is possible to go through the alignment process, but the alignment is way way off.

that's odd as I can adjust so I can get a picture in daylight moving the 2 indicated to the left

image.png.47e0c52c298f4941328374bb55ffb0b4.png

This was just handheld at my desk rather than on the cradle and with night mode off, but effect is much the same. On a bright day tho I can see this could be problematic if you can't slow the exposure enough.

Out of interest which phone are you using?

Didn't think to mention yesterday but if you feel the accuracy is poor is that because you're not tight on target when you align the camera?

You should be able to use pinch-to-zoom to expand the area of interest so you can home in better.

If you mean that when guiding it's poor perhaps that's the sensitivity of the phone sensors and magnetic interference. You may need to reset the compas sensor which is usually done by waving the phone around in a figure of 8 pattern for a few mins.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

Thanks so much for your responses !

The problem was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app , which I really should have thought of sooner, but how and ever.

Next I need to try and fix the red dot optic which worked for a whole hour before giving up the ghost 🙂

All the best,

C

5 hours ago, cathal said:

Dave,

Thanks so much for your responses !

The problem was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app , which I really should have thought of sooner, but how and ever.

Next I need to try and fix the red dot optic which worked for a whole hour before giving up the ghost 🙂

All the best,

C

Ahh those batteries can be 50-50 in gear shipped to you, at least they're not expensive. Do remember to turn it off when not needing to use it to save the battery life and double-check when putting it all away. I left one on all night once and hadn't realised, of course new battery required next time out 😞 

Great news tho on the app, hopefully will be plain sailing from here...

Edited by DaveL59

Aye all going good now. Had a few people over to observe the moon and some other celestial objects.

People were very impressed by Jupiter and its moons, Saturn and various star clusters. A really nice night.

Thanks for the info on the laser dot. I did not even realise it had an on/off switch to be honest, it was left on so is most likely dead.

• Like 2