Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

User Ranks and post counts

Ant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As a vacuum, and therefore, in astronomical terms, a space void of content, I think this is a very good description of the knowledge part of my mind relating to all things skyward bound at present. Here's hoping that the void will soon have some informative content in it. 

With all the cumulative knowledge that is out there in the forums I will only have myself to blame if I remain a vacuum forever.

Thank you for the explanation regarding the 'Status Levels' and how to get promoted. It appeals to my sense of humour.

Christine

Just gone from being a Proto Star to Sub Dwarf - Phew :grin:

Does this not suggest that the SGL profile evolution is in fact, traveling in the opposite time direction relative to what the squashies consider as being the 'normal' time direction ?

• 4 weeks later...

Ive finally upgraded from Sub Dwarf to a Brown Dwarf, I'm relieved to a fully fledged Dwarf now, but I'm still not convinced I want to be a Dwarf.. But I have a few 1000 posts to write before I become fully grown.

Matt.

Edited by Matt Scunthorpe

What is the description under the user avatar and above their post count? A quick glance seems to suggest that everyone is in the "Advanced members" group.

I think its just new members and advance members when you hit a particular number. Not sure what the purpose is.

Matt.

I think its just new members and advance members when you hit a particular number. Not sure what the purpose is.

Matt.

There are quite a few different groups (9 or so general groups) each group allows us to assign or remove permissions to different areas of the forum.

For example a banned member would be moved to the 'Beyond the Event Horizon' group, some of these moves are automated some are a manual process.

Even through these 'rankings' are very funny I still do not understand why they are needed... Doesnt it lead to unnecessary posts? Sorry to say so, but I would really like to understand it :)

@sirrah, they are also there to control access to the classifieds. The mods take a dim view of superfluous posts and they can be deleted. Whilst it is no guarantee of good advice if someone has a long standing presence on SGL then it is usually good advice. If it is not someone else will always contribute.

• Like 1

The names are largely a bit of fun, they can be changed yourself I believe, though I've not tried it.

As said, post counts have significance up to 250 posts which gives access to the classifieds. If we see post farming to get there, admin can and do reduce the count so it's better just to contribute actively and regularly. That way you get your questions answered (or answer other people's) and the forum continues to grow.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We have been asked a number of times what the words below the usernames signify.

Well TBH they are just a bit of fun really!

As you post more in the Astro sections of Stargazerslounge you're post count goes up by one (posting in The Lounge doesn't).

With this post I've attached a list of the User Ranks and the posts required to get to each rank.

All they signify is the number of posts that user has made and it doesn't necessarily mean that the person knows what they are talking about (take me for example :) ).

I think we'll have these bands for some time, but as always we cannot rule out a change at some point.

Cheers

Ant

Thank you Ant! This is exactly what I was looking for. SGL has its business in order.