SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FIRST TELESCOPE

After some research I have decided to buy as my first scope the Skywatcher Explorer 130PM.

What is the forums view on this OVL offer?

FANTASTIC ACCESSORY SET OFFER!!

Buy ANY Sky-Watcher or TAL telescope from ANY UK dealer & buy this superb

Sky-Watcher Eyepiece, Filter, Night Vision Torch & User Guide Set for just £69.00 (SRP £149.00) directly from OVL!!

Kit Comprises: 2mm, 5mm, 15mm & 20mm Long Eye Relief Eyepieces, Four Threaded Light Filters (Amber, Blue, Neutral Grey & Moon Filter) Dual - Beam LED Night Vision Torch, Astronomical Telescope User Guide, in lockable, foam-padded Aluminium Case

Comments greatly appreciated.

PhilD

Telescope is a good beginners scope although you will then want a bigger one...

I would not personally by the eyepiece kit but that is because I wanted to buy specific eyepeices..

I once had a 130 Skywatcher although mine was second hand (£40) on e-bay!

Mark

It's a fantastic offer as a beginners scope. Scope is very good and you will see planets and some DSo's and alot of clusters with it.

Eyepieces are budget but why spend huge amounts on a hobby you don't know is for you yet. If and i hope you do consider this a great hobby this is a very sellable starter kit which you could sell and move onto something bigger.

Kit Comprises: 2mm, 5mm, 15mm & 20mm Long Eye Relief Eyepieces, Four Threaded Light Filters (Amber, Blue, Neutral Grey & Moon Filter) Dual - Beam LED Night Vision Torch, Astronomical Telescope User Guide, in lockable, foam-padded Aluminium Case

I respectfully disagree with the two above replies.

The scope is awsome, I just bought the same one, and love it more than I ever expected!

I would skip the set though. The scope comes WITH a 10 and 25mm EP and a 2x barlow. Spend a bit more, get yourself a 32mm Plossl, a copy of Turn Left at Orion, and a cheapo Wilkinsons flashlight. Paint the lens of the flashlight with red nail polish, and you're a winner. I think the 2mm EP would be WAY too small, and even the 5 pushes it... Remember, with the barlow that comes with the scope, your 10mm EP is effectively a 5mm, and the 25 is near enough the 15.... Small scopes like ours don't really have much use for any of the colour filters, although the moon filter DOES make looking at the moon nicer... So...

Turn Left..... 15 quid

32mm Plossl...... 25 quid

Moon Filter..... 5 quid

Flashlight and cheapo nail polish.... 2 quid

A good clear night, and your first view of Saturn.... Priceless.

-eli

I think you;d be better off getting a decent 32mm EP and a moonfilter.

If you wanted to go for an EP kit I;d go for the Celestron one or the Revelation one - they are a bit more expensive but have more useable eyepieces in them.

Red light torch - I have a very swish one. Its from Orion and its a wind up torch. Brilliant !! never needs any batteries so one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for your ideas. I had a freebie Duracell torch that came with a set of AAA batteries. I used the red cellophane wrapper from a strawberry Quality Street to convert it. Works a treat.

Archived