Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pelican IC5070 in SHO

Tommohawk

Hi all.

A few nice - but short! - nights 8th-10th July, although the usual selection of gremlins to keep me on my toes... I'll spare you the details!  The moon was out (about 70-90%) which doesn't seem to cause too many problems in NB, especially being quite low and actually below my southerly horizon. Some troublesome gradients which vary night by night especially in the OIII. I think I have it fairly well sorted, though OIII always seems a bit sparse with my set-up for some reason.

One of my most pleasing results to date - especially give the street lights and outdoor garden lighting which folk seem so fond of these days. Ideally I'd sort the star colours in BB - if there's another clear night I might give that a go.

Whilst reading up on this target I discovered it has a Herbig-Haro object (H555) which is just discernible at the top of the lower right pillar. I attempted to sharpen this, but gave up as the data doesn't really support it - so its as is.

The colours look about right I think - maybe a bit strong - but after selective colour layers and a bit of stretching I ended up having to reduce saturation by 30% to tone it down a bit! Maybe a tad green in places, but no surprise with all that Ha. I added 20% Ha to the SII and 40% to the OIII to balance things up a bit before combining.

57Cyg had a biggish halo - but I fixed that by cropping it!. 56 Cyg halo isnt too bad... I think!

Do let me know what you think, thanks for looking.

The trusty SW200P with SWCC (0.9x) ASI1600 cool, ZWO NB filters (newer series) 52 x Ha, 46 x OIII, 49 x SII all @300sec @-20 C. Captured in NINA, processed in APP with star reduction. Combined and processed in PS.

1905439614_IC5070SHO.thumb.png.d2c51d824db5eef1c0229e5de9e9c005.png

• Like 17

On 15/07/2022 at 11:53, Shibby said:

I like it a lot. Great detail and you haven't over-processed it, leaving a "natural" look - if you can say that about narrowband images! :)

Very kind!

Colour is all a bit subjective but as you say false colour is, well.... false! Hopefully if the moon pushes off soon I can get some BB for the stars.

And thanks for the other likes!