Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which (light pollution) filter for Redcat51 and Canon R6?

Adam1234

I'm thinking of buying a filter to pair with the Redcat51 and the Canon R6 mirrorless to cut out the light pollution. in my area  I was originally thinking of either the Optolong L-eNhance dual narrowband filter, or the L-eXtreme, but then I thought would they work or provide any benefit with the R6 since it is not astromodded?

Would I be better off with the Optolong L-Pro Broadband Filter (or similar? 

Suggestions on what would work or what others use would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Adam

What sort of lights are causing the light pollution? If they're LED no filter will really block it out as it's a broadband light.

It also depends on what you want to image, galaxies/clusters are best done without filters, emission nebulae which are strong in hydrogen alpha and o3 benefit from something like the L-Enhance or L-extreme, they're very similar but the latter has a tighter bandpass so you get a bit more contrast.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

I'm thinking of buying a filter to pair with the Redcat51 and the Canon R6 mirrorless to cut out the light pollution. in my area  I was originally thinking of either the Optolong L-eNhance dual narrowband filter, or the L-eXtreme, but then I thought would they work or provide any benefit with the R6 since it is not astromodded?

Would I be better off with the Optolong L-Pro Broadband Filter (or similar? 

Suggestions on what would work or what others use would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Adam

I have all of the filters you mention, and with your camera I would deffo go with the L-Pro, as you won’t benefit much from the other two Dual narrowband filters, the L-Pro is a very good LP filter and when I got mine I sold the Idas P2 I had, as the L-Pro blew it away…👍🏼

• Like 1

I've tested all three Optolongs with a DSLR, they do each make incremental differences on certain targets rich in hydrogen and oxygen whereas the lpro is a general one much like a CLS CCD (which I found to be overly aggressive), the veil is a good target to test on and can say it definitely makes a difference, my cam has its IR filter removed though.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1