Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why hello there! From Rugby

Robert Anstruther

Hi all!

Was pointed to this site by Steve from FLO, thanks for the synta bolts Steve! It already seems to be a wealth of info from a really friendly bunch!

My name is Robert Anstruther, I'm 31 and currently reside in Rugby (I'm orginally from Troon, Scotland). I'm an automotive engineer and have a few different past times!

I have been an avid stargazer since I was a nipper, when I was about 7 my father bought me a 'starter' refractor scope ( I can't remember the name!) for christmas which I used for many years. Unfortunately when I moved from Canada back to Scotland I started looking into other past times which took my grasp, as it happens when your young and enthusiatic about anything new! Although I didn't have my scope anymore I was still very much into the universe and the stars. I would still spend hours on my back, in a field, just wondering and contemplating (the 'out there' is by far the most relaxing and serene place I can be!). I have always loved anything related to the stars and universe; sci-fi, games, books and documentaries.

So all this leads me to here and now, or well, sort of a year or so ago. My father and I have always have the same sort of taste in things; science, nature and engineeing. Before I moved to Coventry (about March 07') my father, out of the blue asked where my refractor scope I had when I was a kid dissapeared too. And to be honest, I really couldn't remember but this sparked a number of chain reactive thoughts!

Over the next few months I moved to Coventry and started my new job, whilst thinking alot about getting serious about astronomy, as now I had a income to buy some decent kit. I decided I would buy my dad a scope for christmas and have a look about for one for myself. I visited Sherwoods and after a very brief and non informative discussion, I purchased a Skywatcher 1145 for my dad and a Skywatcher 150 for myself, along with a couple of the Collins Stargazing books. So a here I am, back looking at the stars...and absolutely loving it!!!! Its strange, it feels like the love for it is alot stronger now than when I was a kid, I suppose I understand things alot more now! And putting it into perspective really outlines what your looking at. Its so fantastic!! The only thing missing is some contact with other astronomers, so if anyone is near Rugby and fancies a night of astronomy chat and viewing please let me know! I could do with pointers!

I'm now about to upgrade as I've been saving for a decent all rounder setup which will enable me to get into astrophotography when I'm ready.

I'm looking forward to talking with you all!

See you later.

Rob

Hi Rob,

We are almost next door neighbours, i'm in Coventry. This is a great place to learn the ropes of astrophotography, just browse the images section for proof of that!

Cheers

TJ

Welcome to SGL Rob, it is a fab forum, you will learn lots, I certainly have in just a month of being a member! I definitely agree with you when you say that the 'out there' is the most serene place one can be. Check out the 'imaging' section of the forum, all the images are breathtaking. Looking forward to your posts,

Amanda

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are a few amateur astronomers in Rugby (me included).

Did you know that Rugby has an Astronomical Society now?

It started about 18 months ago and meets on the third Sunday of every month at the Citizens Voluntary Service building next to the Town Hall, oposite the Bingo Hall. Next meeting is on 19th April at 7:30 p.m. Why not pop along to the next meeting.

There is a website, not spectacular but it will tell you about the society, see Rugby & District Astro Society.

Also if you fancy a chat, then get in touch with me via my website or PM me from here.

;)

Chris

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are a few amateur astronomers in Rugby (me included).

Did you know that Rugby has an Astronomical Society now?

It started about 18 months ago and meets on the third Sunday of every month at the Citizens Voluntary Service building next to the Town Hall, oposite the Bingo Hall. Next meeting is on 19th April at 7:30 p.m. Why not pop along to the next meeting.

There is a website, not spectacular but it will tell you about the society, see Rugby & District Astro Society.

Also if you fancy a chat, then get in touch with me via my website or PM me from here.

:rolleyes:

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's absolutely fantastic news! I will definitely the attend the meeting! I would love to have a chat so will send you a pm. As I said I think I will enjoy my hobby alot more if I can chat about it with others and gain some guidance. ;):hello2:

Archived