Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Mars / 10 July 2022 / Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

WilliamAstro

I spent the night setting up my telescope, using my bahtinov mask for great focus, and using Auto Two Star alignment method for more helping tracking with my Nexstar SLT Mount. Successfully I captured Jupiter and Mars and took multiple long exposure videos of them in AVI via Firecapture, The results were amazing at the end. I consider Jupiter to have good seeing and Mars too even when it is far from us as of now, Upon achieving this much data I managed to create an animation of Jupiter and it's moon IO with it's shadow leaving the disk of it's parent planet. I even made a rotation animation of Mars as well, and used 3 best exposures of each planet de-rotated via WINJUPOS.

So here is what I achieved through out the night.

image.png.bf07a1ea17b16dfdf8bbdd2343bd15c2.png

image.png.a7e8d7e4991c5e3c0a7f8daa4ec2668c.png

image.png.92659aedf4508a2cca5715cc1e540af4.png

2X Resize

GIFS/Animations:

image.gif.d7bcc284bab5b096511189e336df2d86.gif

image.gif.13b6f7cb1cc9c84cf4c467b01527484b.gif

image.gif.72088f02bc2b454f07d853ef67377bbb.gif

2X Resize

image.png.31250df0c694a4e8c2da05b6263b6ab2.png

Comparison between real image and WINJUPOS simulation.

Equipment and Software Used:

Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT (Telescope)

ZWO ASI120MC-S (Camera)

2X Barlow, ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector (Lenses)

Autostakkert!3, Registax V6, WINJUPOS, Photoshop 2022 (Software)

Thanks for positive feedback, cheers, and I hope you all have clear skies!

William

Edited by WilliamAstro
  • Like 3

Jupiter and Mars are very difficult to image at the moment the low altitude and fast encroaching daylight see to that. You have actually captured some very good detail especially on Jupiter I'm loving the animation. Mars can only get better and better barring any unforseen dust storms. very well done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Jupiter and Mars are very difficult to image at the moment the low altitude and fast encroaching daylight see to that. You have actually captured some very good detail especially on Jupiter I'm loving the animation. Mars can only get better and better barring any unforseen dust storms. very well done.

The reason why I ended up with good results with Jupiter and Mars is because the jet streams and air turbulence was low, My plans to image planets are made sure there on the perfect path to looking great. To keep an eye on jetstream and turbulence problems, use this website here! https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

What also doesn't help with turbulence is observing inside a warm environment such as your room for example, or observing whilst an air turbulent is coming from a chimney or a vent and even a plane that passes the object your observing.

I advise you to take your telescope and equipment out for a couple or few hours before observation so the telescope can adapt to the air in the environment it is in. Just make sure to use a dew heater to prevent dew/moisture on your scope overtime as it can ruin the process of your data capturing.

I hope this will be helpful for you and other astronomers inside and outside of this forum and clear skies! :)

William

Edited by WilliamAstro
  • Like 1