Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elephant trunk wide field

gorann

No astrodrkness for me, so I apart from mixing concrete to add a new pier to one of my obsies I have reprocessed some images. This one is 5 hours with my Samyang 135 f/2 captured in May with an ASI 2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter. I now looked in vain for any comparative wide field images of it, but could not find any (but I am sure there are some). It strikes me how much nebuosity it is around the major targets in this area - and if you do like I done here and lift the background a bit more than ususal with a curve there is no dark sky to be found at f/2.

Cheers, Göran

20220425 Elephant Trunk SY135 PS28smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

https://www.astrobin.com/ceh9fs/?nc=user

... or this one if you prefer HOO.

Adrian

Lovely! A rapid look at astrobin just showed close-ups and I just did not have the energy to go through the 87 x 100 pages of images of the Trunk. You and me may be among the few that aimed a Samyang 135 at it.

• Like 1

that is an amazing result. WIth the same lens and my asi533 and asi1600 (7nm nb filters) I'm struggling to get clean Ha or Oiii and reckon its band shifting from the fast lens. Too get such a clear squid after 5 hours is remarkable. That IDAS filter seems to be a great match to the SY135 !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

that is an amazing result. WIth the same lens and my asi533 and asi1600 (7nm nb filters) I'm struggling to get clean Ha or Oiii and reckon its band shifting from the fast lens. Too get such a clear squid after 5 hours is remarkable. That IDAS filter seems to be a great match to the SY135 !

1 hour ago, Dan_Paris said:

Excellent wide field image Göran, I never realized that those objects were so close to each other !

10 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Quite spectacular!

Thanks guys! I also did not know how close they were so I caught the squid by accident. I had not even attempted to frame the image, I had just put the SY135 as piggy back on my RASA8 dual rig (aiming at the trunk) to allow the SY135 to catch what ever happened to be in its FOV, with the main objective to fine tune its sensor distance. My Bortle 2-3 sky helps of course.

Edited by gorann