SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 4236 - 13h. Not nearly enough for this galaxy.

ONIKKINEN

I revisited the mountain of unprocessed data that i have and put this together. Most of the 13 hours in this shot is not great in quality and shot from skies between SQM 18.5-20. Only a sliver of the data is from actually nice skies of closer to mag 21, but judging from how its going so far i will need a lot more of the good stuff to bring this swine of a target to justice.

Shot with 8'' F/4.4 newtonian, TS- Maxfield 0.95 CC and Rising Cam IMX571 OSC camera. 30s and 60s subs at Gain 100 and 251. Also shot on 2 different mounts 😁. This is my go-to testing target so acquisition is a mixed bag of different ideas and troubleshooting efforts, but since this is always visible from my latitude its a great calibration target.

NGC4236-newstacking-13h-v2.thumb.jpg.912d609a3b102f90776d6b8fb08285b3.jpg

Subs were bayer split after calibration resulting in somewhere around 4000-5000 subs to stack and recompose into a colour image. All of that done in Siril and then i attempted some luminance and colour processing in PS to maybe tickle some extra stuff out of it. Not sure if that worked, but it didn't make the image worse so maybe it did, also i resampled down to 2.3'' per pixel to maybe improve noise somewhat. Its very much a work in progress and i intend to at least double the integration over the next season and see if the faint outer regions start to make an appearance without a nuclear stretch that brings out all of the noise.

Comments, critique and ideas welcome!

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Looks brilliant to my eyes, I look forward to seeing how it develops with even more integration time. 

Thanks, maybe the reason why i feel its not nearly done and i feel mixed about it is how many processing tricks and little adjustments i had to make to make it a presentable image. Processing feels like walking on thin ice, one slip away between way too noisy or the faint outer edges disappearing and that is a telltale sign of not enough integration to pull the detail from.

Also, if you're curious this is what it looked like at 6 hours although i would probably process that image differently if done today, but that's how it goes.

Im sort of extrapolating from that image and this image that around 25 hours would get the result i have in my mind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Thanks, maybe the reason why i feel its not nearly done and i feel mixed about it is how many processing tricks and little adjustments i had to make to make it a presentable image. Processing feels like walking on thin ice, one slip away between way too noisy or the faint outer edges disappearing and that is a telltale sign of not enough integration to pull the detail from.

Also, if you're curious this is what it looked like at 6 hours although i would probably process that image differently if done today, but that's how it goes.

Im sort of extrapolating from that image and this image that around 25 hours would get the result i have in my mind.

Oh yes, I can definitely see the improvement. Roll on 25 hours!