Narrowband

Sh2-134 from Bortle 8

carastro

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

This is a very old image of mine using a DSLR back in 2011, these are basic processing steps with Photoshop:

Waaahhhh, tis MAGIC! I ista in a state of shock! Unbelievable, amazing! Dinna knows what ta says!!  ... and you call it basic... Ohhh I betta stick to grinding mirrors methinks 🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SthBohemia said:

🙂 Simply my opinion- re-' Images that resemble Hubble etc'.. I DO appreciate the time and effort that surely must go into making the images, was simply curious as the the overall quality that images can be doctored using various tools that I know virtually nothing about. 

Remember, I know nothing of producing images as I come from the era of Rameses II... (and am happy to remain there) 🙂

Enjoy the break, Rob. Who has been accused of having such a thick skin that attempts to insult him are akin to attempting to drown a fish!!

Doctored is unfair term to use; it implies what is being presented is not real. Without doubt, there are some unscrupulous imagers who use something like Photoshop to add in detail that isn't there (or remove detail that is there), and/or attempt to blend in Hubble data and pass it off as 'their image' with a view to trying to impressing others, however the vast majority of imagers will not do that, because, well, what would be the point?

Post processing is an absolutely vital part of astrophotography because the amount of light captured is very, very low compared to daytime photography - an example below is of a hydrogen alpha image of M16 I captured last year:

M16_linear.jpg.ea4532779218143114fcf4a78176834c.jpg

This is the data basically as it comes out of the camera (well, not quite, it is calibrated and stacked, but it has undergone no post processing). Not much to see really, just a few stars and a hint of the pillars.

This next image is exactly the same except it has undergone some stretching to better visualise the data:

M16_stretch.jpg.e1ef9e1d9d6ce47aeb5dc544f34bae05.jpg

Nothing added, nothing taken away, just essentially brightened in a non-linear fashion to allow us to see the information that was captured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

is unfair term to use

^^  that term, (the unfair bit of it) only applies to Trevor Chappel when he bowled underarm! You need to understand that I am a luddite as regards modern technology! A GOTO mount is something from science fiction, had to windup the big weight to get the 11" refractor at Sydney Observatory to follow a star, let alone electric cameras (and strange computer programmes) that bring out details... like.. like...LIKE ... a MAGIC WAND 🙂

Edited by SthBohemia
  • Like 1

If you think that video was complicated, remember this was just a DSLR coloured image, just wait until you use a mono camera and filters.  (Mono cameras are more sensitive), combining the filters (what they do with Hubble and JWST images) is a new challenge to learn, add narrowband to the broadband images yet another, then people use stuff called Platesolving where the mount is controlled by the laptop and they use software to recognise where the camera/telesciope is pointing, and it will solve that area and if it is not the right place, will GOTO the right place.   So many things that can go wrong with equipment, you definitely need to be au fait with technology to some degree.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1