Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Proper dark skies

MalcolmM

I'm spending a couple of weeks in the south of France (Cevennes and Verdon). I've brought my Tak76.

Spent half an hour observing the moon in the early evening against a blue sky. Seeing was very unsteady, possibly due to heat rising from the buildings, but being able to observe in shorts and t-shirt was lovely! Really couldn't push the magnification beyond x57 (10LE). We are surrounded by forest so maybe that affects seeing too?

I woke at 2 in the morning (not planned), took a look outside and was completely blown away at the dark skies. The Milky Way was full of structure and very bright. This is the darkest sky I have ever seen with a scope in tow. There were so many stars I was lost! I spent quite a bit of time trying to see the N America nebula. I couldn't really see it through the scope (28mm Erfle in now) though there did seem to be millions of stars and nebulosity all intermingled! I then tried for the Veil but saw nothing (other than millions of stars and nebulosity!). I'm still in shorts and t-shirt; what a great way to observe :)Both these targets were very near the zenith and it was extremely difficult star hopping at that altitude. I'd no room for a finder in my luggage so tough also trying to align the scope to a suitable star to start the hop. My neck did not appreciate it! Mind you, a straight through finder would not have been much easier at that altitude!

After two no shows I went for easy! M13 looked absolutely stunning with the 10LE. So bright. I convinced myself I was resolving some individual stars. It really was a pile of diamonds on black velvet. It must look incredible through a big dob from a dark site. M92 (a first for me) was less spectacular but still a great sight. A quick glance at M57 and then the Owl cluster. For the first time I could really see how it got it's name. Unfortunately I'm surrounded by tall trees and high buildings so I have to move about to see different bits of the sky.

Next I lay down on a sun bed with a pair of binoculars and discovered why I was not able to see the North American Nebula. It's large! Spent ages just scanning it and it's surroundings. It really is a spectacular part of the sky. My home skies are going to seem useless from now on. Dark? There's no such thing where I live!

Onto the Veil again with binoculars and with the help of the free version of sky safari I saw the Eastern Veil. I knew where the Western Veil was but I couldn't see it. The Eastern appeared as a grey crescent among a myriad of stars.

By now Jupiter, Mars and Saturn were quite high so I relocated to a different spot and ... was very disappointed! They were all mushy blobs. I couldn't even see the equatorial belts on Jupiter. Seeing was awful! I can only assume the fierce heat during the day heats up the buildings and gets dissipated during the night.

So in summary, an incredible night. Not many targets, but really you need to plan a session first which I hadn't. Very difficult navigating a truly dark sky simply because of the number of stars. Very difficult star hopping near the zenith. Using binoculars was actually more rewarding last night and doubly so while lying on a sun bed in shorts and t-shirt :)

Malcolm 

• Like 23

Fantastic report and nice that you managed to see the Veil; you know you have nice dark skies when you don't need an OIII filter. It is a spectacular site. I feel your excitement.

• Like 1

Malcolm. Get as much juice out of those skies as you can, look for Barnard objects, I think with your Tak76 and good skies it could be something wonderful to enjoy big fields with dark patches here and there.

Have a very clear skies, I'd like to read your next report.

1 hour ago, Israel Sevilla said:

Malcolm. Get as much juice out of those skies as you can, look for Barnard objects, I think with your Tak76 and good skies it could be something wonderful to enjoy big fields with dark patches here and there.

Have a very clear skies, I'd like to read your next report.

Thanks @Israel Sevilla. I certainly intended to do as much observing as I can here. Unfortunately the increasingly bright moon is having an adverse effect now, as well as 2 hours of kayaking with my partner rendering me unable to move :) 10 minutes going forwards, 50 minutes going sideways and 1 hour going backwards! We couldn't get the hang of it! 

I've never heard of the Barnard Objects. I'll take a look see. Thanks for the tip. 

Malcolm 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Thanks @Israel Sevilla. I certainly intended to do as much observing as I can here. Unfortunately the increasingly bright moon is having an adverse effect now, as well as 2 hours of kayaking with my partner rendering me unable to move :) 10 minutes going forwards, 50 minutes going sideways and 1 hour going backwards! We couldn't get the hang of it! 

I've never heard of the Barnard Objects. I'll take a look see. Thanks for the tip. 

Malcolm 

You are right. Barnard Objects are very complex to observe, they are clouds of stardust, the most famous is the inkspot B86 and Barnard 142 y 143 (which create a dark 'E' in the sky). Here you have a good list of those objects:

http://www.jouscout.com/astro/belmont/belmontn.htm

But please take a look also at the sketch of B86 drawn by the great Jeremy Perez

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000581.html

Clear skies...

• Thanks 1

You're not a million miles from me and the sky is excellent in the dark spots. For the best seeing, rather than transparency, we usually do better in the last part of astronomical darkness when the land has cooled.  Wind is also bad news because it creates layers of air at different temperatures.

Enjoy the region!

Olly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Israel Sevilla said:

You are right. Barnard Objects are very complex to observe, they are clouds of stardust, the most famous is the inkspot B86 and Barnard 142 y 143 (which create a dark 'E' in the sky). Here you have a good list of those objects:

http://www.jouscout.com/astro/belmont/belmontn.htm

But please take a look also at the sketch of B86 drawn by the great Jeremy Perez

http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000581.html

Clear skies...

Lots of interesting material there thanks @Israel Sevilla and yes, the sketch (and the others) are fantastic.

Malcolm 

10 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You're not a million miles from me and the sky is excellent in the dark spots. For the best seeing, rather than transparency, we usually do better in the last part of astronomical darkness when the land has cooled.  Wind is also bad news because it creates layers of air at different temperatures.

Enjoy the region!

Olly

Thanks @ollypenrice, we are loving the region and not just for the dark skies. It's been clear every day/night so far. We got 3 hikes in before the fire risk meant that access to the hiking areas has been closed :( so we are just enjoying the weather and relaxing now! Very envious of you living out here!

Malcolm 

• Like 1