Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First week of solar imaging.

Adamar98

This is my first week of solar imaging. I’m absolutely hooked. I’m slowly getting my head around the processing side of things. I was foolish enough to think that having a background in astrophotography, the processing would be easy. Idiot. One thing I do find myself doing with solar imaging compared to regular astrophotography, I’ve started observing! I’m spending a good half hour looking in awe at the sun after a imaging run. I can’t get enough of it and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. Anyhow here’s my latest effort.

Coronado PST, ASI174mm 2 x Barlow.

72C1EBA4-2C7C-4C39-939C-55B7AB973F43.thumb.jpeg.8c749416d04f3dffd478c9140508f9a2.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Elp said:

It's a great image overall, for your first it's stunning. Your PST certainly performs much better than mine as I hardly see any surface detail at all.

Probably a daft question but have you tuned it? Mine showed no detail until I found it’s “sweet spot”.

To the left it shows prominences, to the right it almost looks like white light but bright. The prism adjustment doesn't really do anything to the image quality either visually or via camera, the prism is very slightly not aligned perpendicular to the light path but I find the prominences look fairly sharp even whilst this is the case. The ITF is clear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adamar98 said:

Thank you. I don’t know the age of the scope. I bought it secondhand.

Is the front lens blue or orange?

Have you got a mono image , ie before you colourised it?

Edited by newbie alert
Asked another question

34 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Is the front lens blue or orange?

Have you got a mono image , ie before you colourised it?

its blue. I presume there is a reason why you ask? Here's the mono image.

discpng.thumb.png.93cee2affa2cc717b48ec2409b5e3a42.png

On 08/07/2022 at 18:55, Adamar98 said:

I’ve started observing!

I’m considering starting solar but probably just visual given I’ve yet to properly learn ‘normal’ astrophotography image processing so starting another steep learning curve right now doesn’t seem sensible.  My question is how does visual solar compare to imaging solar?   Is the gap as big as it is between DSO visual and DSO imaging I.e. grey fuzzy blob v full colour spectrum and fine detail.

8 minutes ago, Adamar98 said:

its blue. I presume there is a reason why you ask? Here's the mono image.

discpng.thumb.png.93cee2affa2cc717b48ec2409b5e3a42.png

Ok thanks very much

The blue optical lens are the newer ones from Meade, the older orange ones are the original Coronado.. they're the ones that suffer from the ITF rusting

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Priesters said:

I’m considering starting solar but probably just visual given I’ve yet to properly learn ‘normal’ astrophotography image processing so starting another steep learning curve right now doesn’t seem sensible.  My question is how does visual solar compare to imaging solar?   Is the gap as big as it is between DSO visual and DSO imaging I.e. grey fuzzy blob v full colour spectrum and fine detail.

I only have a 20mm eyepiece. Compared to the image you don’t see as much detail. You certainly don’t see the granulation. But many of the other features are visible. It’s fascinating to look at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adamar98 said:

It’s fascinating to look at.

Thanks. Certainly interests me a lot but reckon I'll hang fire for a bit as it looks like it could be another money pit and I've plenty of other stuff to learn first 😉

• Like 1