SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO EAF and 80ED

I've been trying to attach my new ZWO EAF to my Evostar 80ED focuser. I didn't get very far before I got unstuck.

I have removed the coarse focuser knob as per the instructions. But I'm having trouble attaching the coupler to the telescope. I can get the coupler in (but it does not fit in easily), and once in place there seems to be a lot o resistance when trying to rotate the focuser (with just the coupler in place).

From what I can see, the focuser shaft seems off centre, and therefore the coupler in rubbing against the black tube shown in the photos.

Do I need to adjust the focuser so I can get the shaft centred? If so, how do I go about doing that?  

Thanks in advance

Dafydd

PXL_20220708_060831915.thumb.jpg.b87870d3ee6ecf4b25d00ac1eebcb272.jpgPXL_20220708_060641720.thumb.jpg.a69534702fcddda25a690dc94b950468.jpgPXL_20220708_060836435.thumb.jpg.3ee78eb0541dbd2c107ab82f2adf6ba7.jpg

When I fitted the EAF to my ED80 DS Pro, I didn't have any issues.

I've just checked the focuser (I changed it for the upgraded version) and the shaft sticks out 7mm from the black focuser casing, so yours looks about right.

One thing to check is that you haven't got the coupler the wrong way round. The centre hole has two different sizes in it, one for the scope side and one for the EAF, which is larger. If you put the EAF side onto the  focuser shaft and tighten the grub screws then this can push the coupler off centre and it can rub the casing. You also won't be able to get the EAF onto the coupler. ;) 

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

When I fitted the EAF to my ED80 DS Pro, I didn't have any issues.

I've just checked the focuser (I changed it for the upgraded version) and the shaft sticks out 7mm from the black focuser casing, so yours looks about right.

One thing to check is that you haven't got the coupler the wrong way round. The centre hole has two different sizes in it, one for the scope side and one for the EAF, which is larger. If you put the EAF side onto the  focuser shaft and tighten the grub screws then this can push the coupler off centre and it can rub the casing. You also won't be able to get the EAF onto the coupler. ;) 

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

This is what I thought initially, but the coupler is definitely attached the correct way. I'm pretty sure that it's an issue with the focuser being off centre, but I don't want to be messing about with focuser unless I have to!!

Have you tried the other couplers, to see if there's one which is a closer fit on the shaft? Make sure to wind the grub screws out so you can't see them inside the hole for the shaft.

There's also quite a bit of adjustment on the EAF motor bracket, so can you fit the coupler so it's far enough out to clear the casing?

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

There's also quite a bit of adjustment on the EAF motor bracket, so can you fit the coupler so it's far enough out to clear the casing?

I have yes. I think you're suggestion here might be an option if I can't adjust the focuser. Thanks again for you help

• Like 1