Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Considering an Achromat Celestron 6"

I’m looking at an Achromat Celestron 6" Refractor with a Moonlight Focuser. I don’t know anything about these so some advice would be appreciated!!

Has a 8 x 50 finder, 2" or 1.25" focuser.

He wants $800 for the scope without the mount or tripod.

It's at least 20 years old.

Hello Blueboy,

That is a high price for the Celestron C6-R, up until the recent price increase this refractor sold brand new for $800USD.

There were 2 models of this telescope, the early one did not have a collimatable lens but the newer did. I would find out which version it is. 

Back when this telescope was new you could get it and the ASGT mount for $1000USD in 2004 (if it is the newer version)

What mount are you planning on using it with? It will need to be a EQ-5 at the minimum. 

If you have not seen one of these in the wild they are large and a bit bulky, usually more than people realize. 

Most people converted the focuser on these to the Moonlite as it was half the price of a feather Touch at the time. I would not take that into account for raising the price of the OTA. 

If you have any specific questions about the C6-R I would be happy to answer them as I have been using modifying mine since 2006.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Gabby76 said:

Hello Blueboy,

That is a high price for the Celestron C6-R, up until the recent price increase this refractor sold brand new for $800USD.

There were 2 models of this telescope, the early one did not have a collimatable lens but the newer did. I would find out which version it is. 

Back when this telescope was new you could get it and the ASGT mount for $1000USD in 2004 (if it is the newer version)

What mount are you planning on using it with? It will need to be a EQ-5 at the minimum. 

If you have not seen one of these in the wild they are large and a bit bulky, usually more than people realize. 

Most people converted the focuser on these to the Moonlite as it was half the price of a feather Touch at the time. I would not take that into account for raising the price of the OTA. 

If you have any specific questions about the C6-R I would be happy to answer them as I have been using modifying mine since 2006.

Thanks Gabby76!

I thought the price was a little high. Not by experience but just a feeling. I'll ask him what model it is.

What ever minimum mount it needs I would most likely get the next size up.

So this is a good scope? You seem to like yours.

If it is the newer model, what would be a fair price? He said he bought it used and has "never really used it".

Thanks again!

Blue

If the refractor is the earlier one without the collimatable lens it would be worth less than the one with the collimatable lens cell. 

I like them so much I bought a second one of these in 2016 while working in Canada (I missed my yard cannon :) ) and paid $650CND for the telescope with a Moonlite crayford and a manual EQ-5.

You will of course see CA on bright objects but they do well for planets/ lunar and deep sky. 

There are a few of these showing on Astromart with a average price of $350USD but since I do not have a account there I do not know if they are recent or not. 

Edited by Gabby76
added information

6 hours ago, Blueboy said:

I’m looking at an Achromat Celestron 6" Refractor with a Moonlight Focuser. I don’t know anything about these so some advice would be appreciated!!

Has a 8 x 50 finder, 2" or 1.25" focuser.

He wants $800 for the scope without the mount or tripod.

It's at least 20 years old.

Hello and welcome to SGL.

As others have said, that is a lot to pay for a 6” Achromat and it will have strong chromatic aberration and it will need an Atlas/EQ6 to hold it.

Do you need an achromat ?

Have you considered an 8” Dobsonian ? - They are easy to use, relatively cheap, have Apochromatic performance and the mount is included…..

https://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102005.uts?refineByCategoryId=13

And if you find you like the hobby but want to upgrade to a better setup you can mount the Dobsonian tube on a motor driven equatorial mount for automatic tracking, GOTO and photography like I did…..

17EB4C37-BD9F-40C2-9F1E-B37E5444D95A.jpeg.f02fb2c8dfcf8398e297fe5434173944.jpeg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Gabby76 said:

If the refractor is the earlier one without the collimatable lens it would be worth less than the one with the collimatable lens cell. 

I like them so much I bought a second one of these in 2016 while working in Canada (I missed my yard cannon :) ) and paid $650CND for the telescope with a Moonlite crayford and a manual EQ-5.

You will of course see CA on bright objects but they do well for planets/ lunar and deep sky. 

There are a few of these showing on Astromart with a average price of $350USD but since I do not have a account there I do not know if they are recent or not. 

He said he doesn't know the model or what lens is in it. He said the sticker was on the original focuser, which he doesn't  have. 

Is there a way you can tell which lens is in it?

If he is asking $800 I don't think he will be too happy coming down that much without the mount. Which I don't even know what it is. Or throw in the mount and still get less.

Thanks!

Blue

What you describe gives me a bad feeling about the seller.

If you really really want this model, do your research.
If you specifically want a big refractor, look for something from a more helpful or knowledgeable seller.
If you just want a telescope, walk away and look around. There is plenty of choice.

Free advice (can be worth at less than you pay for it) I have used several 8" and similar size reflectors.
The views provided for the ££ or $$ spent are really good.

HTH, David.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Hello and welcome to SGL.

As others have said, that is a lot to pay for a 6” Achromat and it will have strong chromatic aberration and it will need an Atlas/EQ6 to hold it.

Do you need an achromat ?

Have you considered an 8” Dobsonian ? - They are easy to use, relatively cheap, have Apochromatic performance and the mount is included…..

https://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102005.uts?refineByCategoryId=13

And if you find you like the hobby but want to upgrade to a better setup you can mount the Dobsonian tube on a motor driven equatorial mount for automatic tracking, GOTO and photography like I did…..

Hi dweller25,

I considered these scopes but aesthetically they don’t do anything for me. I guess I’m just too old-fashioned. But after seeing what you did with yours it definitely sparks an interest.

What mount did you use?

Thanks!!

34 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

What you describe gives me a bad feeling about the seller.

If you really really want this model, do your research.
If you specifically want a big refractor, look for something from a more helpful or knowledgeable seller.
If you just want a telescope, walk away and look around. There is plenty of choice.

Free advice (can be worth at less than you pay for it) I have used several 8" and similar size reflectors.
The views provided for the ££ or $$ spent are really good.

HTH, David.

No, not really. This was just something I came across while looking.

There are plenty of fish in the sea, so to speak.

Thanks David !

For what you have stated it does not sound like this person is into astronomy, more a seller than a observer who bought it and then looked to see what they were selling for at the time. 

A collimatable lens cell is not listed on the sticker (which is on the tube) again this just seems to me to be a re-seller.

The image is the lens cell from the C6-R, it has 3 sets of push/ pull screws, 2 sets are showing here. 

The old ones do not have these. 

Starting out, as much fun as the C6-R is I would hesitate to recommend it as a first telescope. 

Though the views are great they are large and bulky as I have said. 

To give you a idea, here is a image of a friend who is 188 cm (6'-2") standing under it. 

Setting one up is one thing but after a few hours when you cold and tired, taking one down and storing it becomes a task unless you are slightly 

crazy and love big refractors :)

IMG_2645.jpg

C6-R.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blueboy said:

Hi dweller25,

I considered these scopes but aesthetically they don’t do anything for me. I guess I’m just too old-fashioned. But after seeing what you did with yours it definitely sparks an interest.

What mount did you use?

Thanks!!

Well if you want old fashioned bear in mind that the Newtonian type telescope like the one in my photo first made an appearance around 1670 ! 🙂

The views through “Newts” are very good and the Newtonian gives the best performance per dollar spent of any telescope type.

My Newtonian is on a Vixen GP-DX.

Edited by dweller25

9 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Newtonian type telescope like the one in my photo first made an appearance around 1670 ! 🙂

Yes but the much superior refractor has been around since 1608!

The first and best. :D

• Like 1

If you've got $800 to spend on a scope and you REALLY want a big refractor I would recommend a new Altair/TS f/11 102ED, it's a fantastic telescope and blows the 6" achro out of the water. I've had and used both these telescopes. Regards the price, $800 is way too much, you can pick up a used Skywatcher Evostar 150 f/8 for half that.

49 minutes ago, Gabby76 said:

Starting out, as much fun as the C6-R is I would hesitate to recommend it as a first telescope. 

Wow, that is a monster! (The scope not your friend)

Not really looking for a first scope. Looking for my last or next to last or next next to last... The way I look at things, go big or go home. LOL

Seriously, big and heavy doesn't bother me... At all !

Later tonight I'll see if this guy wants to sell or let it collect dust.

By the way, I am in the USA. North of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  That  scope is about 1.5 hrs away.

Thanks everyone, keep the comments coming.

Blue

Dont forget The Bresser 127l if a large achro is still wanted. They are one of the best of the breed of the cheap large achros out there. I got mine second hand for £180 

216 dollars. A 5 " Refractor for just over 200 dollars Second hand. Its worth trying at that price just to see if you like it.  I like it especially for the sun. And visual star clusters. There's false colour of course but less than a Celestron 6" mentioned all images the Bresser 

no reduce.png 70.png soft.png 75.png 70.png decon.png

native 1.png 75.png full dom.png 75.png

11TH MAY BRESSER.png

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 127l.png A.png 85.png adjust (1).png

DSC00410.png

• Like 5

OK here is the latest. Just got off the phone with the seller.

He will sell the Celestron C6-R Scope with the Celestron CG-5 mount for $850 USD. 

So what is the mount worth by itself?

Only thing is there is no eye piece. Which shouldn't be a problem, right?

Should I go for it? 👍 / 👎

Thanks guys!

Blue

It would depend on which mount it actually is.

The CG-5 is a manual mount, the go-to version was the ASGT and you can get the go-to for about 350-375 so it still seems a bit high.

If your comfortable with that price you are getting a lot of refractor :)

1 minute ago, Gabby76 said:

It would depend on which mount it actually is.

The CG-5 is a manual mount, the go-to version was the ASGT and you can get the go-to for about 350-375 so it still seems a bit high.

If your comfortable with that price you are getting a lot of refractor :)

No it's the computer kind. Said he paid $600 20 years ago. About the same time as the scope.

Well that is interesting to say the least!

The telescope is a first series and has been painted white (they were black from factory) with a single speed Moonlite.

The mount is a CG-5 with dual axis motors so not go-to but still nice for tracking. 

The finder is a add-on as they never came with RACI from factory, but the really nice add-on is the tripod. That is a older Losmandy tripod, probably from a G-8 but could be for a G-11.

As it sits I would not be to offended to pay $850 but it is right on the borderline. 

The 2" Burgess diagonals were supposed to be quite decent as well. 

Ps: the wooden box is a nice addition as well though I only see one counterweight in the images, the 150mm f/8 package usually comes with 2. 

Edited by Gabby76

17 minutes ago, Gabby76 said:

Well that is interesting to say the least!

The telescope is a first series and has been painted white (they were black from factory) with a single speed Moonlite.

The mount is a CG-5 with dual axis motors so not go-to but still nice for tracking. 

The finder is a add-on as they never came with RACI from factory, but the really nice add-on is the tripod. That is a older Losmandy tripod, probably from a G-8 but could be for a G-11.

As it sits I would not be to offended to pay $850 but it is right on the borderline. 

The 2" Burgess diagonals were supposed to be quite decent as well. 

Ps: the wooden box is a nice addition as well though I only see one counterweight in the images, the 150mm f/8 package usually comes with 2. 

Interesting to say the least indeed!

I wondered why the one you have pictured is black and this one is white. Could be why there is no tag on the tube. Most likely done by the previous owner.

It's at least worth a look. If you see anything else that should or shouldn't be there please let me know. I'll offer $800 and see what happens.

Thanks Gabrielle, you have been an enormous help!!

Blue