SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Opticstar v Explore Scientific

bosun21

I read that the Opticstar 82 degree eyepieces are a straight rebrand for the equivalent Explore Scientific. However I was checking the specs and saw that for the 24mm eyepiece there was a weight difference of 160g as well as different dimensions for the eyepiece itself. Why the large differences?

11 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I read that the Opticstar 82 degree eyepieces are a straight rebrand for the equivalent Explore Scientific. However I was checking the specs and saw that for the 24mm eyepiece there was a weight difference of 160g as well as different dimensions for the eyepiece itself. Why the large differences?

I think there are different "degrees" of rebrand/cloning.

For example, the various incarnations of the BST Starguider series seem to be identical kit from the same factory, with different logos.

Whereas, for example, the Altair and APM UFFs are apparently optically identical but "packaged" differently (e.g. steel vs alloy barrels), which can make for a different weight and/or dimensions.

And then there is speculation about differences in coatings, or tolerances ...

I've read in a few places that the Opticstar 82s were "optically the same" as the ES, but I can't find anything definitive about the comparison. Often that kind of information only seems to emerge from people who have an inside track to the manufacturers or distributers.

Some of the regular contributers on eyepiece threads may know more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

I think there are different "degrees" of rebrand/cloning.

For example, the various incarnations of the BST Starguider series seem to be identical kit from the same factory, with different logos.

Whereas, for example, the Altair and APM UFFs are apparently optically identical but "packaged" differently (e.g. steel vs alloy barrels), which can make for a different weight and/or dimensions.

And then there is speculation about differences in coatings, or tolerances ...

I've read in a few places that the Opticstar 82s were "optically the same" as the ES, but I can't find anything definitive about the comparison. Often that kind of information only seems to emerge from people who have an inside track to the manufacturers or distributers.

Some of the regular contributers on eyepiece threads may know more.

Yes I realize that the clones can come in many guises, although in this case it appears to have copied the shape and form of the eyepiece itself. I will wait to see if any of our members with more insight in this matter contribute. Thanks 

• Like 1

Online eyepiece specs have been known to be wrong by wide margins, so take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I've read that the ES equivalents sold by Ali Express can be factory seconds based on user experiences.  Returns via AE can be a pain in that case.

I would hope that Opticstar sells first quality optics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

appears to have copied the shape and form of the eyepiece itself

You're right, they do look identical, so differences in dimensions would be surprising, though different materials could still cause a weight difference. I have only the ES 6.7mm, which I had weighed as 227g; the Opticstar site says 228g, so I believe that one at least.

10 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Online eyepiece specs have been known to be wrong by wide margins, so take those numbers with a grain of salt

Fair point, sometimes they're website typos, sometimes over-optimism.

12 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Returns via AE can be a pain in that case.

I would hope that Opticstar sells first quality optics.

There are several supplier reviews here, and they do have a UK base.  I'd missed the recent Meade connection.

I have most of the Explore Scientific range apart from the 24mm that’s why I was looking at them both. I’ll check the weights and dimensions on the other sizes (apart from the 6.7mm) which you have already done. It’s just that 160g isn’t just a little.

25 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

, which I had weighed as 227g; the Opticstar site says 228g, so I believe that one at least.

I give up with the weights online as your 6.7mm is said to be 280g on the FLO website. @Louis D was correct in that the online weights can be well off. 

22 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

It is known that JOC sells these eyepieces with seals (Explore Scientific) and without (many direct-from-China providers).

They toss in a seal with each eyepiece?  Cool!!!

spacer.png

Edited by Louis D
  • Haha 3