SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher 200P

Hi @malgpz900 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

If it is new, then I would contact the reseller ASAP. If secondhand, then the seller should have informed you of it, unless they have used the 'sold as seen' disclaimer, which voids them of any claims that arise.

That does not look good. :ohmy: - I would be crying if it was mine. :crybaby2: 

Just now, Philip R said:

Hi @malgpz900 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

If it is new, then I would contact the reseller ASAP. If secondhand, then the seller should have informed you of it, unless they have used the 'sold as seen' disclaimer, which voids them of any claims that arise.

That does not look good. :ohmy: - I would be crying if it was mine. :crybaby2: 

New, contacted seller. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, malgpz900 said:

New, contacted seller. 

Contacted retailer, who said not to worry with it being to back of the mirror, non-critical for optics. Sending my photos to Sky-Watcher to get their comments. He did have a look at the one on display in the shop, which he recons is worse than mine.  

Watch this space.

Malcolm.

Edited by malgpz900
  • Like 1

It has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the optics. I would keep it personally, maybe asking for a small discount.  It would be a pity to trash a good performing mirror just for that.

Or : you may test the mirror first, if it's a good one keep it, if it is only average you have a good argument to return it 😉

Edited by Dan_Paris
  • Like 1

The mirror's backside probably got a bit of rough handling during manufacturing, that's all.  I would shine a bright light through the glass from the side to look for deep imperfections like stress fractures.  Surface scratches on the backside of the mirror are purely cosmetic.
Thoroughly check the rest of the scope for real damage like bent spider vanes or tube crinkles.  Those can't be fixed by the end consumer.

• Like 1