SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 6th July

After doing some lunar. Left the scope out and tried some planets later. Seeing was pretty dire. Despite conditions some lovely gas clouds forming on Jupiter at the moment Saturn was worse than jupiter. I think its low light doesnt take poor seeing kindly. Clearly the 7.3 aperture isnt really enough for a lot of detail on saturn. But still pleasing to the eye maybe. One thing i am learning about these Classical Cassegrains. Is even though resolution is limited to the 7" range. What detail it does produce is actually very fine. As in hairline fine. Ive noticed this on lunar and even under rubbish seeing here you can still see how it  produces very sharp fine detail 

8" CC  QHY 462C ZWO ADC SW EQ5 PRO 

6 th july.png s.png b.png

Another.png 90.png D.png

Sat 6th july.sat.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 12

Great capture despite the conditions. I was out earlier at night observing the Cygnus nebulas and the skies were crystal clear but deteriorated pretty fast from 2am.

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Great capture despite the conditions. I was out earlier at night observing the Cygnus nebulas and the skies were crystal clear but deteriorated pretty fast from 2am.

There was moments on Saturn. Where it just tore it to shreds. Not all as bad as that though. But a far cry from a lovely night i had last year. But if you dont get out there its never going to happen.  i enjoy the night air despite that. 

• Like 2

Very nice images, did you use autostakkert or registax by any chance? You will find their sharpening options will refine the details even more (AS its just a checkbox to enable before stacking, RS you have more control).

3 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Looked quite bright for a while, but there was a fair bit of low cloud blocking the view.

What altitude did image Jupiter and Saturn at?

Ok Saturn was around 18 degrees. Jupiter 27. Still fairly low.

3 hours ago, Elp said:

Very nice images, did you use autostakkert or registax by any chance? You will find their sharpening options will refine the details even more (AS its just a checkbox to enable before stacking, RS you have more control).

Hi ELP yes I always use AS/3 And Registax cheers

20 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Nice images Neil, you did well for the conditions low elevation not really helping either, some nice detail coming through on Jupiter at this early stage & also a very tidy Saturn!

Cheers Simon i think the scope being out for hours ( i was doing lunar and later star testing ) helped a little. But we know whats possible under UK skies. So ive yet to get anything planet wise with the little scope. That shows its potential. But in time. I am sure  can. I know its never going to beat the Orion. But still believe it may surprise at some point due to its very sharp and fine nature. Time will tell. 

Edited by neil phillips