SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need advice

Hey guys,

I’m a total newbie with astronomy.

Been trying to decide between a couple different scopes.

I was trying to find a Sky Watcher Explore 200 PDS Telescope here in the US.

I contacted sky watcher and was told they don’t sell them here and suggested I look at the Quattro.

I did a search to find out what the difference between the Explore and the Quattro is and came across this forum.

The Quattro is their imaging Newtonian line.

The New Quattro 150P comes with the flattener. Do you really need the flattener? I read it’s about half the cost of the scope itself.

I’m not sure yet if the 200 P comes with a flattener.

Originally I wanted to get a Refractor Scope to look at the moon. But with further research a Reflector Scope looked more desirable. Not only can I look at the moon but with a Reflector I can search the beyond.

So do I get the

Explore 200 PDS

Quattro 200 P

Quattro 150

?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Blue

Hi and welcome to SGL.

You should probably look at this model from SkyWatcher as good general purpose visual scope (no imaging):

http://skywatcher.com/product/dob-8-traditional/

Scopes that you've been looking are newtonian scopes mounted on Equatorial type mount. This type of mount can track the sky rather easily (single axis rotation) - either by hand or with simple electric motor, or you can get full fledged goto mount (that will find objects for you as well as track the sky). Drawback is setup time and fact that newtonian scope is not well suited for use on EQ type mounts for visual. This is because eyepiece gets into rather awkward positions and you need to rotate tube (in its rings) to make it accessible.

Dobsonian type mount is far easier for simple use. It is manually pushed scope to find objects and track (although you can also get goto version of that as well) with very comfortable seating position. Eyepiece almost does not change position (you do need to "move around" the scope as you rotate it on its base - but that just means moving chair before you sit at eye piece again).

Maybe look at some YouTube videos / reviews of these scopes to get the idea of how big they are and what is involved in using them.

If you're after a reflector, I'd agree with Vlaiv: a Dobsonian is the way to go if you're interested in visual observing only. You might consider the new Celestron Starsense 8":

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-starsense-explorer-series/cel_starsense_exp_8_dob.html

This would give you an easy-to-use push-to dob setup which will help immensely in finding your way around the sky.

Hi Blue, 

I agree with Vlaiv.

If you're just into visual observing, a Dobsonian is much easier to use,  and cheaper, than one that needs a heavy duty mount.

For a beginner, that is a much better proposition. 

Good luck with your search. 

Mike

As you live within the USA and wont be damaged by wretched import duties it might be worth while joining the 'Cloudy Nights' group. You will find a plethora of used scopes for sale within their classified section. My choice would be to go for a used Meade or Celestron 8" SCT (if possible , an older one when they were still made within the USA). Even if your interest  fades you can sell the used SCT for little less than you paid for it!

• Like 1

On 05/07/2022 at 19:19, vlaiv said:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

You should probably look at this model from SkyWatcher as good general purpose visual scope (no imaging):

http://skywatcher.com/product/dob-8-traditional/

Scopes that you've been looking are newtonian scopes mounted on Equatorial type mount. This type of mount can track the sky rather easily (single axis rotation) - either by hand or with simple electric motor, or you can get full fledged goto mount (that will find objects for you as well as track the sky). Drawback is setup time and fact that newtonian scope is not well suited for use on EQ type mounts for visual. This is because eyepiece gets into rather awkward positions and you need to rotate tube (in its rings) to make it accessible.

Dobsonian type mount is far easier for simple use. It is manually pushed scope to find objects and track (although you can also get goto version of that as well) with very comfortable seating position. Eyepiece almost does not change position (you do need to "move around" the scope as you rotate it on its base - but that just means moving chair before you sit at eye piece again).

Maybe look at some YouTube videos / reviews of these scopes to get the idea of how big they are and what is involved in using them.

Hey vlaiv,

Thanks for the welcome!

I was considering the DOB’s. Apparently everyone else agrees with you. But to be honest with you it’s not what I had in mind what a telescope should look like. Maybe not the right attitude but what can I say, I’m a little old-fashioned. You said this scope is intended for visual purposes and “no imaging”. I assume that means taking pictures? Taking pictures was part of the idea of buying a telescope.

Like I mentioned, I was looking into refractor telescopes.

I do know I want crisp clear views of what ever I am looking at, along with taking pictures.

I started another topic “Considering an Achromat Celestron 6””.

Maybe this is the way to go for me, but I’m just not sure which way to go at this point.

I appreciate everyone else’s opinion!

I am open to more suggestions.

Thanks!!

Blue

Yet more suggestions! If you are going 4 a refractor have a browse of the link as listed below. I have heard a lot of positive feedback regarding Istar. Be aware that Celestron is an advertising GIANT, (like a few other companies). If you browse the 'best telescope to own', over the net you will find the big advertisers predominantly win hands down. Whereas Questar, Takahashi and a few other up market manufacturers seldom rate. Just think of the fun you can have after purchasing an Istar 8" objective lens, imagine the joys of fabricating the tube assembly etc etc etc 😞 😞 (I have a warped sense of humour.. sorry). However, if I were 30 years younger the above is exactly what I would do and mount the scope on a Losmandy G11 or similar.

https://www.istar-optical.com/achromatic.html

I am not a Dobsonian fan, sure, they are simple and relatively easy to make AND allow the user to have an enormous primary mirror but any scope having a primary mirror over 12" is somewhat problematic to move/relocate/transport. Maybe have a look at the link below in regard to a 30" Dob purchased by a group at Linden and the miseries they encountered. Great bunch of people (I used to live in the mountains not far from Linden) but the Dob caused nothing but headaches...

https://wsaag.org/images/Documents/Evans_30inch_Telescope_1997-2003.pdf

Cheers Rob.

9 hours ago, Blueboy said:

Taking pictures was part of the idea of buying a telescope.

Thats a whole new beast and as many of us say, a slippery slope for adding more and more equipment 🙂 

We all want to take pictures of some kind, its just what exactly are you aiming to capture. I started using a simple phone camera attached to my scope to grab pictures of the moon. From there I have got interested in DSOs, hence purchased an astro camera.

So knowing your short term aspirations, budget and long terms ones will help others advice you better. Good luck.

I suggest you take a hard look at what you want to achieve.  Refractors are the traditional scope design, but there are other scope designs that get the job done and are much more cost-effective in the larger sizes.  Dobsonian mounted reflectors give you the most aperture for your buck, but the simple mount restricts what you can do with them.

You express an interest in imaging - well there are different styles of imaging: planetary, deep space, and EVAA - the latter combines the features of visual observing and imaging.   There is widefield imaging - capturing the Milky Way and huge nebulae - and narrowfield imaging - planets and planetary nebulae and small distant galaxies. One set of kit will not do them all. And the kit is often expensive.  And high demands are made of the mount.

You only need a large scope nowadays if you want high resolution e.g. for planets, etc.  For anything else, if you are not wedded to looking through eyepieces, a small refractor, a sensitive camera and some exposure time can do the job.