Narrowband

Lunt LS50THa B600PT H-alpha Solar Telescope?

Greymouser

I am sure it has been asked before, but I find only negative comments. Is the focuser on these really that bad? If so can an alternative/replacement still be found?

I do want to go beyond white light observing, but doubt I will get to 60mm money.  :smiley:

Focuser is fine. Does the job. I'm visual only in case that makes a difference. Don't let it put you off. I've had some lovely times observing in the warmth of the sun. It's a great wee scope and seeing all the H alpha solar features is fascinating. The focuser takes a little bit of getting used to but you actually have very fine control with it.

Malcolm 

• Thanks 1

I thought the original focuser on mine was bad and consider both the double stack and focuser upgrades equally beneficial. There is a sweet spot for detail with these scopes and with the original focuser it wasn't central. Additionally, when I was using the original focuser I used to spend a lot of time fiddling with the pressure tuner to try to keep the detail high. When I upgraded the focuser I discovered that it wasn't the tuning that was the issue, it was the original focuser not holding focus. 

As for the options, when I upgraded there was a double speed moonlite and both single and double speed feather touch focusers. Moonlite have moved to motorised focusers so I don't think they will be an option unless you can find one second hand, which is unlikely unless it comes with a scope. As for the feather touch options, I believe they are in short supply due to covid supply chain issues but should be available in the future. I chose the double speed feather touch and find that I use the fine focus all the time so that is the one that I would recommend. 

• Thanks 1

My LS50 focuser (with original run of the scope 7-8 years ago) just seized up, so it was unusable. Would hope they’ve improved the consistency since then - as long as it functions ok and you don’t want it to cope with heavy weights you should be fine.

• 6 months later...