Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom eyepiece?

32 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Not really.  I just grab both zooms and twist them in sync until the power roughly frames what I want to view.  I then slowly adjust the zoom at my nondominant eye back and forth a bit until the two images snap into merger.  It's pretty quick and obvious when it happens, much more so than when best focus has been achieved.  I originally had concerns it would be an issue merging non-click-stop zooms in a BV, but it hasn't been an issue at all.

Besides, with click-stops, you're relying on tight manufacturing tolerances for the two eyepieces to be perfectly matched at every click-stop.  If one eyepiece's click-stop magnification is slightly off from the other eyepiece's, it would be hard to move the zoom mechanism of one of them off by a small amount because the click mechanism would want to force you onto the nearby detent.  Thus, you're having to force your brain to merge two images of slightly different magnifications in that situation.  It's doable, but not comfortable long term.

To avoid a headache or eyestrain during power changes since my brain is trying to merge unmergable images, I concentrate on the view through my dominant eye since I can't twist the two eyepieces at exactly the same rate.  This would be an issue with click-stops as well unless you looked away entirely and just counted clicks.

The guess it's a bit like normal binoculars in a sense, only rather than focusing each eye, you are matching image scale?  That's really cool.

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

The guess it's a bit like normal binoculars in a sense, only rather than focusing each eye, you are matching image scale?  That's really cool.

Exactly, the image scale has to match to merge.  However, it's really easy to judge because objects not only have different sizes between images, they are also displaced radially from the center by different amounts.  It's actually super cool to see the merge happen and the brain locking the two images together suddenly with much greater fidelity than either image alone.