SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS)

Got up last night around 11.30 to try and observe this comet .

Using the Tak100DL, and Sky Safari for its location, I couldn’t see anything at first but as my eyes adapted, and the sky darkened slightly, something emerged. It was in the right place according to Sky Safari and eventually, especially with averted vision, it was definitely there. No clear shape and in the ‘faint fuzzy blob’ category but good nevertheless to bag another comet 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get out with an 8 inch Dob in a small window of not quite dark enough, but racing against a moon rise. 
Embarrassed to say I started in the wrong constellation! Found M5 in five seconds and that drew my attention for quite some time.

Realising my mistake, I headed over to Ophicius and star hopped to M12 then a little jump to M10. Despite the Comet hunt I loved the Globs, could have stayed right there.

One little spiral movement and there was the Comet. No colour. But I could discern a brighter core with averted vision and what looked like a slightly curved elongation. I cannot say tail as it was right in the category of DSO smudges.

I always toast a new comet with a Drambuie and it has been some time.

Marvin 

• Like 2

Spotted it last night with the Meade SN6 6" F/5 Schmidt-Newton (which is a brilliant comet sweeper with 3.3 deg FOV when using the Nagler 31T5). Difficult in slightly hazy skies, but definitely visible in averted vision, slightly easier in the Nagler 22 mm. Also had a good look at M10

Raised a tot of Laphroaig Quarter Cask to that  

• Like 3

I decided to have a look for this Comet which was nicely placed in Ophiuchus. Using my 6" Newt + 24mm ES68 + 7-21mm SvBony zoom I tracked it down. It was faint although it was estimated to be 6.88. Although it was not astronomically dark it was very clear at about 11.45pm.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 09:37, Mark at Beaufort said:

I decided to have a look for this Comet which was nicely placed in Ophiuchus. Using my 6" Newt + 24mm ES68 + 7-21mm SvBony zoom I tracked it down. It was faint although it was estimated to be 6.88. Although it was not astronomically dark it was very clear at about 11.45pm.

A good observation Mark.  What approx mag is it, and what scope we're you using?