SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A bit of a reward...

MarsG76

Hello Astronomers,

This sort of thing doesn't happen to me often, so I have to show off a little bit.
My image of the Pavo Star Cluster was selected as the July 2022 picture of the month, at https://www.webbdeepsky.com/picture-of-the-month/archive/2022/7 a little bit of a reward for spending the long nights collecting the cosmic photons...

Clear Skies...
Mariusz

NGC6752 LRGB 6-7May2022 06h02m Frm.jpg

• Like 28

On 05/07/2022 at 06:17, happy-kat said:

Looks like a comet with the green. Nice globular

On 05/07/2022 at 06:30, Ags said:

I'm not seeing green??

There's definitely no green there...

• Like 1

I agree - the background is neutral and the stars have a wide but natural and balanced distribution of colors.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

And very deserving it is too! I think Globs are, overall, my favorite DSO's. Mesmerising to look at, and mind boggling to think about.

It's not a Glob I've really come across before, -24 deg is as high as it gets for me! I must have seen it in books and magazines over the years. It's a beauty.

I take it that you used the C8 in your sig?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Paul M said:

And very deserving it is too! I think Globs are, overall, my favorite DSO's. Mesmerising to look at, and mind boggling to think about.

It's not a Glob I've really come across before, -24 deg is as high as it gets for me! I must have seen it in books and magazines over the years. It's a beauty.

I take it that you used the C8 in your sig?

This globular is a equally beautiful sight in the eye piece as it is photographically... the reason why I targeted this glob in the first place was after my accidental finding it while scanning the sky with my Dob during one of my observation session.

This was imaged with my C8 at native focal length, with the QHY268M in LRGB color. 

• Thanks 1

I'm jealous.

NGC 6752 technically rises from Tacande observatory because anything with a declination north of 62° S is theoretically visible and NGC 6752 is at 60° S.

However, the ridge to the south (and now the new volcano cones) blocks the bottom 10 degrees or so and the telescope mounting sets a limit of 47.5° S.

Perhaps a trip up to El Roque with a pair of binoculars is called for. Pretty sure I can't do imaging from up there and an object which culminates at 2° is not going to be very impressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xilman said:

I'm jealous.

NGC 6752 technically rises from Tacande observatory because anything with a declination north of 62° S is theoretically visible and NGC 6752 is at 60° S.

However, the ridge to the south (and now the new volcano cones) blocks the bottom 10 degrees or so and the telescope mounting sets a limit of 47.5° S.

Perhaps a trip up to El Roque with a pair of binoculars is called for. Pretty sure I can't do imaging from up there and an object which culminates at 2° is not going to be very impressive.

Unfortunately we can't have it all... there are so many northern objects I'd love to see and image... if only the earth was really flat, we'd have the best of both skies...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Unfortunately we can't have it all... there are so many northern objects I'd love to see and image... if only the earth was really flat, we'd have the best of both skies...

Nope, quite the reverse. If the Earth was flat, almost half the sky would be invisible without space travel. Think about the geometry. With a spherical earth everywhere can see more than half the sky. Even at the poles atmospheric refraction will give you half a degree the other side of the celestial equator.

So, I have M31 and M33, where I image globular clusters and measure variable stars like AE And and AF And. You guys have the LMC and SMC which are much easier to study.

Edited by Xilman

10 hours ago, Xilman said:

Nope, quite the reverse.

HAHA. depends on which theory you're quoting... there are many and those theories are all aligned to depending on which delusion is claimed by the girl that the poor lonely confused FE fella is trying to "befriend"... like Mark Sargent obviously simping on that red head in his documentary... quite entertainingly pathetic really, but I don't think she wanted to move into his mum's basement... it's all bogus...

Apparently flat earthers have members all AROUND THE GLOBE... anyway back to spherical reality.

Edited by MarsG76

10 hours ago, Xilman said:

So, I have M31 and M33, where I image globular clusters and measure variable stars like AE And and AF And. You guys have the LMC and SMC which are much easier to study.

Being so substantially closer would make it easier... you know I haven't imaged the SMC yet...

On 09/07/2022 at 06:57, MarsG76 said:

HAHA. depends on which theory you're quoting...

Fair enough, I was thinking about the Discworld where the rotation axis is perpendicular to the disc and my claim holds.

If the rotation axis lies in the plane of the disc then one could indeed see the whole sky.

• Haha 1

On 08/07/2022 at 16:45, MarsG76 said:

It is, don't let those globe freaks fool you🤪

We live on a flat earth, within a container...the edge is guarded by NASA, you can't cross it to go on the flip side...  Who would think we live on a spherical globe.. the water would fall off... Obviously...🙄🤪😱🤔

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

We live on a flat earth, within a container...the edge is guarded by NASA, you can't cross it to go on the flip side...  Who would think we live on a spherical globe.. the water would fall off... Obviously...🙄🤪😱🤔

The container being the circumfence, presumably? They work for Ringworlds and Banks Orbitals too.

Personally I think we live on a pseudosphere which has global constant negative curvature (with tiny local variations, of course, like mountains). That is why it is so hard to reach the north and south poles and no-one knows exactly where they are. Travelling around the pole is easy but travelling to them ...

Edited by Xilman

2 hours ago, Xilman said:

Fair enough, I was thinking about the Discworld where the rotation axis is perpendicular to the disc and my claim holds.

If the rotation axis lies in the plane of the disc then one could indeed see the whole sky.

It is riduculous to think the Flat Earth rotates. It's the sky that rotates around the flat Earth.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ags said:

It is riduculous to think the Flat Earth rotates. It's the sky that rotates around the flat Earth.

Makes no difference.

If the axis about which the sky rotates is perpendicular to the Earth only half the sky is visible (neglecting refraction). The other half rotates below the Earth where we can not see it.

(Yes, I am well aware this argument is incorrect. I have known my reasoning to have been incorrect all along. I will explain in detail if no-one works out why and posts the correct analysis.)

14 hours ago, Ags said:

Your argument is based on Euclidean geometry which Flat Earthers have long since disproved.

My argument is incorrect even with Euclidean geometry and the rotation axis (whether of sky or Earth) perpendicular to the plane of the Earth.

Hint: what part of the sky is seen by an observer standing at the edge of the Earth?

You guys are way off the mark.  There's no such thing as space, it's all just a big light show projected onto a dome and we're mind controlled from vapour trails and 5G.  Even the ancient Greeks were, who didn't exist - just like Australia and the entire southern hemisphere hemiplane.

Anyway, back in reality, that's a lovely globular cluster and a well deserving picture of the month 👏.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/07/2022 at 02:22, newbie alert said:

Shhh dont tell anyone... don't mention that I'm on NASA's payroll too... apparently.