SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nikon D3300 for some light lunar photography

I want to take a series of 3 or 4 moon phase photos, process them, and then put each on a separate canvas and stick them up on my living room wall.  I'd like them to be as high a resolution as is feasible, because i'm going to be blowing them up to quite a large size.

I have an entry level DSLR thats a few years old, a Nikon D3300 and I assume it would be usable for this project if I bought a T Ring?   Would that be good enough for this purpose, and maybe for some planetary shots later this year when the time is right; or should I prioritise a lower end planetary camera instead?

Edited by TheycallmeRiver

Depending on what camera lenses you have to hand you might be able to achieve it that way too. I've managed a few shots using my 100-400AF zoom on the A77ii and also with double-stacked x2 TC's on the back of an old Zeiss f2.8 180mm Sonnar which I guess takes that combo up to 1080mm F11 ish. You do need a good tripod ideally, tho I and also Olly have grabbed shots hand-held. Not sure how they'd blow up to the size you're thinking tho. 

I've yet to pop the camera on any of my scopes for a shot at the moon so can't give you a comparison against the camera lens combos tho. Plan on doing that but so far opportunity hasn't knocked.

Edited by DaveL59

51 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

What telescope or lens are you going to be using with it?

I don't know :(  I'm a total AP newcomer.  All of my scopes are in my signature, I don't really know what I should use yet and i'm happy to be guided with whatever you experienced folks think is best.  The only astro photos i've ever taken have been through an iphone held up to an eyepiece.

In my head I know what I want the end product on my wall to look like, and i'm happy to sacrifice a little quality, but i'm adamant that I want to have taken the photos myself rather using images taken from the internet.

As for lenses, I only have the kit 18-55 that the camera came with.  It's been sat in a case for a couple of years along with the DSLR itself.

I can afford a couple of hundred quid for a ZWO camera thats a bit more dedicated if you think it's worth it, but if I spend that money i'd like it to be usable for planets in the future, as well as this moon project (not mono colour).

Edited by TheycallmeRiver
typo

as an off-the-wall suggestion tho I've no idea how well it'll perform, you could rent a lens:

Tamron (Nikon fit) SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 to hire at LensesForHire

Perhaps we can persuade @JOC or @johnfosteruk to try a couple moon shots to illustrate what you might get that way. Can't comment re your scopes as I don't have any like those or what you'd need to get a camera hung off the back and focused. 🙂 

I would suggest you get the lens out and check, renew any silica gel sachets in the case too, just in case. They do like a regular bit of sunlight to keep them healthy...

edit: reading into their page, maybe not compatible with your D3300 but if they have the G1 available that might work, so best to ask if it'd suit. Or they also have Sigma versions.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

Having a read I think the SCT sounds promising to try with (sorry I can't see what exactly it is) . Does your camera take videos as well as stills? A remote trigger release would be handy if not you could use a timer delay of your camera has that. 

Stills or video could be processed using registax or autostakkert then wavelet sharpening using registax

1 hour ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

as high a resolution as is feasible,

Hi

I can't see what telescopes you have, but to fill APS-c (with a little wiggle factor along the narrow edges) with the moon, you need something around 1000mm focal length. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

When using mobile view the signatures do not show hence the question

Didn't realise this, my scopes are pasted below.  The used FLT 132 is new to my collection, not even used it properly yet.

Telescopes - Orion XT10i, Celestron 9.25 Evolution, William Optics FLT 132 with feathertouch

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

Didn't realise this, my scopes are pasted below.  The used FLT 132 is new to my collection, not even used it properly yet.

Telescopes - Orion XT10i, Celestron 9.25 Evolution, William Optics FLT 132 with feathertouch

If you like I can lend you my Celestron skyris 236m so you can test to see if you like lucky imaging... I think you get a better image doing mosaics rather than full discs.. message me and I can drop it off after work

10 hours ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

FLT 132

Hi

That should do it.

Not sure of the best ISO on the 3300, 100 maybe? Anyway, start bracketing exposures at either side of 1/500s. You're up against atmosphere wobble, so take several at each shutter speed. With a bit of luck, you'll get one which you'll be able to pass to hard, especially on -very forgiving- canvas.

Good luck and HTH

**EDIT: ISO. Our Nikon expert refers me to this. So ISO800. So start bracketing around 1/1000s perhaps?

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2022 at 19:43, TheycallmeRiver said:

I want to take a series of 3 or 4 moon phase photos, process them, and then put each on a separate canvas and stick them up on my living room wall.  I'd like them to be as high a resolution as is feasible, because i'm going to be blowing them up to quite a large size.

I have an entry level DSLR thats a few years old, a Nikon D3300 and I assume it would be usable for this project if I bought a T Ring?   Would that be good enough for this purpose, and maybe for some planetary shots later this year when the time is right; or should I prioritise a lower end planetary camera instead?

I've used a D3200, which has the same sensor as the D3300, for lunar imaging and get respectable results. The attached image was acquired with a 600 mm focal length. It's not the best that the camera can achieve and was at ISO-400, so there is plenty of scope for improvement. My iOptron RC6 has a focal length of 1370 mm and I can fit the entire full Moon on the crop sensor. I think you should get good results with your camera.

First_Quarter_20210717.jpg

On an APS C sensor you should use 1000-1500mm focal length to fit the whole moon disc with some room to spare. So your 5 inch  refractor seems the best bet, and it will have the resolution for a nice detailed image for a poster.