Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is anyone using an Askar FMA 135?

Looking for general feedback about this one, I can find plenty about the FMA 180... and if anyone would have by any chance the 135 and 180... I'l be interested in a comparison.

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

Is anyone using an Askar FMA 135?

Looking for general feedback about this one, I can find plenty about the FMA 180... and if anyone would have by any chance the 135 and 180... I'l be interested in a comparison.

I am told it has less CA than the 180 but it's probably marginal. I don't know of anyone on here using one at the moment. Some people on cloudy nights is using one though. 

I've checked the CloudyNight forum, not much on it really. Same as for the FMA 230, it seems that the FMA 180 is The most popular of the series.

It's only £289 at Flo for it while £359 for the 180. I've dismissed the 230 a I have a RedCat 51.

I mean look at it, it's so tiny. It would do nicely for my new sub-micro-tiny observatory :D 

AskarFMAs.jpeg.007a2433014d9694e89ffcf71fe038a5.jpeg

On 04/07/2022 at 07:13, Gonzo said:

I've checked the CloudyNight forum, not much on it really. Same as for the FMA 230, it seems that the FMA 180 is The most popular of the series.

It's only £289 at Flo for it while £359 for the 180. I've dismissed the 230 a I have a RedCat 51.

I mean look at it, it's so tiny. It would do nicely for my new sub-micro-tiny observatory :D 

AskarFMAs.jpeg.007a2433014d9694e89ffcf71fe038a5.jpeg

The issue for me is that the 180 is so portable that to be honest the 135 is no more portable for being smaller. The 135 is a 30mm apperture and so if you use a 1.25 inch filter on the front of it you are going to narrow that down further to only 24-26mm. So F5-F5.5 territory. I think the mount is better designed on the 135 though easier to slick a finder shoe on it. None of that invalidates the 135 so by all means go for it, but I can see why the 180 is the most popular model. The 230 is not allot more focal length than the 180 considering the price difference and sits at a price point that cant be justified against its FPL53 based competition. 

Adam

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. From the few posts I've found, some are placing the filter at the front and not near the camera as usual, any reasons why?

Oh and there is this 3d printed bracket for the FMA-180 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4762752 which is very similar to the 135 bracket.

I might say something wrong, but I have the impression that the 230 is a competitor to the RedCat 51 somehow and as I already have the RC51...

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. From the few posts I've found, some are placing the filter at the front and not near the camera as usual, any reasons why?

Oh and there is this 3d printed bracket for the FMA-180 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4762752 which is very similar to the 135 bracket.

I might say something wrong, but I have the impression that the 230 is a competitor to the RedCat 51 somehow and as I already have the RC51...

I think its meant to be but it does not really compete the, red cat is superior in performance and price to performance. 

Thanks for the bracket link. 

Adam 

• Like 1

I have the FMA135 and bought it more as a guider and a novelty.  It's ok, doesn't have CA but stars in corners are not great on 2600MM but perhaps can be fixed with backspacing tweaks...as it's a side project I haven't bothered with it yet.

No problem mounting 1.25 or 2" filters in front of camera sensor so the aperture isn't limited.

The wide views at 135mm are nice, FMA180 and 230 are trounced by Redcat's optics.

Edited by licho52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, licho52 said:

I have the FMA135 and bought it more as a guider and a novelty.  It's ok, doesn't have CA but stars in corners are not great on 2600MM but perhaps can be fixed with backspacing tweaks...as it's a side project I haven't bothered with it yet.

No problem mounting 1.25 or 2" filters in front of camera sensor so the aperture isn't limited.

The wide views at 135mm are nice, FMA180 and 230 are trounced by Redcat's optics.

Cool thanks for the info about the filter. For the price of the FMA-135... it's not going to break the bank. I have seen some really nice images from an FMA-180, I 'assume' the FMA-135 is on par with it.

Very nice images thanks for sharing. I have a few physical measurements to take before I commit to either the 135 or the 180. Both are looking good for what I want to do.