Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mosaic help

Adamar98

Hi, I've recently started my journey with solar imaging. I'm using a Coronado PST, ZWO ASI174mm and a 2 x barlow. I'm after a full disc image. From what I understand ,  I need to take separate images for the surface detail and one for the prominence. I've used Microsoft ICE to stitch the surface images without any problems. But when I come to stitch the prominence images, its having none of it. I've also tried Photoshop merge and Autostitch to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Here are the Images. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stitched

bottomsurf_stitch.tiff

Prominence Images

topprom.tif

bottomprom.tif

Thanks in Advance

Adam

Edited by Adamar98

14 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

You would be better off posting the images in a format that allows us to see them , I'm sure I am not alone in refusing to download unknown files in order to view them.

Sorry. 

I never thought of it like that. Here are the images in a viewable format.

bottomsurf_stitchwavlet.thumb.png.5d5c9a64e33496e1f8123af52e9de8cd.pngbottomprom.thumb.png.ef4bba9938d6fc5860d80f8e783370e6.pngtopprom.thumb.png.5395b5cca175217cbf0f99c69f76ec83.png

Cheers

Adam

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Adamar98 said:

Hi, I've recently started my journey with solar imaging. I'm using a Coronado PST, ZWO ASI174mm and a 2 x barlow. I'm after a full disc image. From what I understand ,  I need to take separate images for the surface detail and one for the prominence. I've used Microsoft ICE to stitch the surface images without any problems. But when I come to stitch the prominence images, its having none of it. I've also tried Photoshop merge and Autostitch to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Here are the Images. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think that with prominence images you simply don't have enough detail to do the stitching.

There is no shared feature between top and bottom images except for over exposed solar disk - and since there are no features on solar disk as it is over exposed - there really is nothing to orient by. There is no way of determining rotation as disc can be rotated by any angle and it will still be - disc.

Best thing to do is to compose by hand / manually.

Open images in say PS or Gimp, put them in separate layers - set top layer opacity to some small value to be able to see how to align them - and then move one layer until it matches other one. Then crop top layer, set opacity back to 100 and flatten image.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adamar98 said:

I never thought of it like that. Here are the images in a viewable format.

I think tiff format is fine - it won't display automatically, but sometimes it is better to post data like that as it can be posted in higher bit format.

Including jpeg or png version does help people see what is going on right away.

Here is example of joined prominence images:

composite_prom.thumb.jpg.6c3379f2ce3662d0517d0a33656ab64f.jpg

and associated 16bit tiff:

composite_prom.tif

Do be careful when using barlow. If you change something to your setup - like distances, image size will change. Two parts of prominence image were of different magnification and that makes stitching even more difficult.

Now you can take that image and combine with original image in the way you want.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Here is example of joined prominence images:

composite_prom.thumb.jpg.6c3379f2ce3662d0517d0a33656ab64f.jpg

and associated 16bit tiff:

composite_prom.tif 5.08 MB · 1 download

Do be careful when using barlow. If you change something to your setup - like distances, image size will change. Two parts of prominence image were of different magnification and that makes stitching even more difficult.

Now you can take that image and combine with original image in the way you want.

Thank you very much for the advice. It’s my first image. I have a lot to learn and I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions. You’ve been a great help.

3 hours ago, Adamar98 said:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Vlaiv beat me to it. I settled down after dinner to work your images in GIMP, and yes, he suggests exactly what I was doing, so follow what he said.  I can now do something else less useful. Good luck on the steep learning curve!

Adrian

• Like 1