SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The ZWO AM5 landed!

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help please.

I have a Belerbach adapter which allows me to attach my am5 to my Celestron AVX tripod so to, avoid any meridian flip issue , I’m considering getting a Zwo pier but, the adapter currently attaches to the bottom of the am5 and then fits into the hole on top of my AVX. If I get a pier will it attach onto the bottom of the am5 and then allow me to fit the adapter to the bottom of the pier, therefore allowing me to attach the whole to my AVX tripod? Anyone advise please.

Hi, I have just been watching the TJ Connolly video and noticed he attached the am5 to the zwo tripod using the silver round adapter which is supplied with the zwo carbon tripod, I’ve not got one of those, will I need to purchase one of those adapters  to fit the am5 to my Celestron AVX tripod? And at the bottom end of the pier will I be able to attach myBerlebach adapter to fit onto my Celestron AVX tripod. Anyone help please.

On 13/09/2022 at 16:43, Martthebass said:

Thanks DR.  In my case, not sure that it matters where the meridian flip is toggled as it won't work in 'live' anyhow if I recall correctly.  

I was a bit concerned that the mount was 'shonky' but glad to find it's me being dim.  The AA+ still has a few bugs that could do with sorting but overall it's a good pairing.  

Just putting this one to bed.   I set a target last night to check if the meridian point was an issue and can confirm that tracking stopped as per the point when the target crossed the meridian.  Manually performed the flip and guiding continued normally. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Martthebass said:

Just putting this one to bed.   I set a target last night to check if the meridian point was an issue and can confirm that tracking stopped as per the point when the target crossed the meridian.  Manually performed the flip and guiding continued normally. 

Thanks for confirming @Martthebass.

I'll try to replicate in Autorun on my next imaging opportunity. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, JCIdaho said:

Anyone else having issues with the scope/camera hitting the tripod when focusing on something at/near the Zenith. I've just ordered the pier to help with this, but wondering if others have had issues?

What scope are you using? I've got a compact arrangement so avoid those issues, but I did take the precaution of using riser blocks between scope and dovetail. Isn't it something which would haunt you on other mounts? Given the amount of torque that the mount can muster, any collision would probably cause damage to one thing or another. Unfortunately you can't set limits to the movement.

Ian

On 14/11/2022 at 11:03, JCIdaho said:

Using a StellaMira90, but with a chunky imaging train on the back.

I can't see any damage, and it subsequently worked OK. I've ordered the pier extension, I hope all will be well.

I'm using the Stellamira 90 on my AM5 and can confirm that shooting near the Zenith hasn't been a problem with the 160mm pier extension.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the saddle and dovetail to reduce the weight of my backpacking setup. Shaved off half of a kilo. I know it's not relevant for many, but my back feels every bit of it, just need to add a linchpin to ensure the scope can't slide out. IMHO, looks a bit bold but I'm OK with the result.

223510547_20221204_134006_HDR2.thumb.jpg.ec64485649736b20d8e6db5d9a175ad8.jpg

20221204_134215_HDR.thumb.jpg.73ccb8d278c883b6ed48b3024a1bbdba.jpg

20221204_134951_HDR.thumb.jpg.a72c87f1c69e36f3ecb0dedc3490a52e.jpg

20221204_134640_HDR.thumb.jpg.44f9dee43caa39816a725353e8e5516f.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

What a fantastic little piece of machinery.

Intrigued by what looks like a change in design of the base, much smaller than mine. Any chance of a photo in daylight please? Might just be a trick of the light.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

4 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Intrigued by what looks like a change in design of the base, much smaller than mine. Any chance of a photo in daylight please? Might just be a trick of the light.

Ian

I've just got home now and starting to get dark but looking at your pictures it looks the same? Probably a trick of the camera angle on mine?

• Thanks 1

@david_taurus83 Is this to help with quick release of an ASIAIR?

image.png.bf7b60a3a67131e3d9bc9bb6c623652a.png

I'd like to switch my RedCat back to the Black-CAT mounting for EAF but want to get the ASIAIR on and off quickly.  By default the screwed in connection means you can't access (easily?) when it's all together.

Apologies - slightly off topic.  I'll make up for it with an image of my AM5 ready to go a few evenings back.

image.png.80b2301fa88156352ee06e89b9b85dd4.png

• Like 2

@geeklee Yes exactly that! I pinched it off the 200P I have in the shed as it won't ever get used but I might swap it for the red one that comes on the side of the AM5. Just need to make sure I have short enough screws to go back in the holes as I believe there are some wires underneath that can become snagged?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Just need to make sure I have short enough screws to go back in the holes as I believe there are some wires underneath that can become snagged?

Correct, I'd read and seen the same.  Here was the warning from ZWO someone posted on SGL.

16 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I pinched it off the 200P I have in the shed as it won't ever get used but I might swap it for the red one that comes on the side of the AM5.

Perfect, I'll have a dig about and see what I have and maybe use the AM5 one too.  Did you just fit the dovetail bracket to the ASIAIR or something else?

I have an ADM vixen bracket on the bottom of the ASIAIR right now and it connects easily to a vixen bar... so I'm also considering an approach with that... somehow!

13 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

@geeklee Yes exactly that! I pinched it off the 200P I have in the shed as it won't ever get used but I might swap it for the red one that comes on the side of the AM5. Just need to make sure I have short enough screws to go back in the holes as I believe there are some wires underneath that can become snagged?

You have the 2 screws in the side of the clamp which are shorter. I took the findershoe & long screws off the side of the AM5 and relocated it to the clamp and used the short screws to fill the vacant holes left on the AM5 body.

• Like 3

@david_taurus83

I just noticed your 'modified' finderscope. Is that the SVBony SV161 double helical focuser with an extra adapter (red), to make focusing easier? What camera is the guide camera that fits so flush?

Bought this one from Amazon a week ago (it's reduced to £19.99) for that very purpose. Due to the weather I've only managed to check the focus roughly using a not too distant chimney.

1 hour ago, geeklee said:

Perfect, I'll have a dig about and see what I have and maybe use the AM5 one too.  Did you just fit the dovetail bracket to the ASIAIR or something else?

I got the new Air Mini direct from ZWO and it came with a bracket already attached. 

20221217_160049.thumb.jpg.6d1ca654758cf1f34c5840814c4e2978.jpg

48 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

@david_taurus83

I just noticed your 'modified' finderscope. Is that the SVBony SV161 double helical focuser with an extra adapter (red), to make focusing easier? What camera is the guide camera that fits so flush?

Bought this one from Amazon a week ago (it's reduced to £19.99) for that very purpose. Due to the weather I've only managed to check the focus roughly using a not too distant chimney.

No it's the ZWO helical focuser. I have the SVBony one as well and they are almost the same except the SVBony one has a shoulder on the inside that prevents the nose of the camera from going all the way through. The ZWO one doesn't have this. The SVBony one has 10mm of focus travel though to the ZWO's 6mm.

20221217_162757.thumb.jpg.ecf6905bcd28ac5594ba9bdf20a0de9d.jpg

20221217_162738.thumb.jpg.50bd664635ce19621ea576d0b0da0b5a.jpg

And the ZWO inside..

20221217_162746.thumb.jpg.3eaea2e02703229350da07bc4dd58cd4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

You have the 2 screws in the side of the clamp which are shorter. I took the findershoe & long screws off the side of the AM5 and relocated it to the clamp and used the short screws to fill the vacant holes left on the AM5 body.

Do you mean these 2?

Screenshot_20221217_163452_Chrome.jpg

• 1 month later...