Narrowband

The Moonless Half of the Year

Mr Spock

For evening lunar observers like me, the first part of the year is great. The moon is high in the sky and away from all those nasties we urban observers have to live with.

I looked at the moon last night and realised it was so close to the rooftops I wouldn't be able to get my scope on it in any kind of darkness (twilight...). Then as I followed the constellations across the sky, there's the realisation that we are in the part of the year where the moon, from new to full, is low in the south and west.

Until later in the year when the planets pass south at around midnight (I have no eastern view), I'm not only moonless, but planet less too 😭

• Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I looked at the moon last night and realised it was so close to the rooftops I wouldn't be able to get my scope on it in any kind of darkness (twilight...).

Get a camera on it with an IR Pass filter, then the sky is black all day 😁

This is the thing I really like about Astronomy. Everyone has their thing! Mine is planets, but there are galaxy hunters, imagers, winter fans, solar and lunar. Sometimes you just have to wait until it’s your turn. 😃

• Like 2

I had to give up doing deep sky Saturday night because the moon was so insanely bright.  Slapped in the variable moon filter at max and just looked at the moon.