SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter GRS 2nd July

Cleaned my mirrors, reset the cell ( twice) As i was a bit bothered it was still too tight. Apparently there was a huge jet stream over my location. But i had glimpses of better seeing. Very strange weather lately. If this is anything to go by Jupiter is going to be good real soon. 

Orion 245mm Newtonian ZWO ADC Baarder Q 2.25 barlow screwed straight into the ADC QHY UV IR CUT SW EQ5 PRO 

2ND JULY.png C.png 80.png b.png d.png

2ND JULY.png C.png 80.png b.png d.png contrast.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Very nice. The GRS is showing some nice details and banding around the disk. My seeing was awful with very strong winds.

I seem to be getting more glimpses of better seeing on Jupiter. But then its climbing more. But just goes to show how local conditions are varying around the country a lot. I didnt expect much with the strong jestream forcast. Yet my best Jupiter so far. I was in two minds to even try. I only did because i wanted to test the scope after doing a take two on setting up the cell. I think i have answered the question if the cell is working. Its not pinching. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnakeyJ said:

Very encouraging Neil - hoping to get out for a few goes myself this opposition

Hi Jake yes it is isnt it. My first taste of slightly better seeing so far. Will look out for any of your captures posted

Cheers

6 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I seem to be getting more glimpses of better seeing on Jupiter. But then its climbing more. But just goes to show how local conditions are varying around the country a lot. I didnt expect much with the strong jestream forcast. Yet my best Jupiter so far. I was in two minds to even try. I only did because i wanted to test the scope after doing a take two on setting up the cell. I think i have answered the question if the cell is working. Its not pinching. 

Yes testing on not so great conditions is the way to go so not to miss a good seeing. My Jupiter had no details whatsoever visually.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Yes testing on not so great conditions is the way to go so not to miss a good seeing. My Jupiter had no details whatsoever visually.

I was getting some detail earlier in IR On jupiter. But as it climbed in RGB  as I kept fine tuning focusing. I could see moments of detail clearly coming through. On screen I knew i had done better than of late. 

When Jupiter is at 39 degrees and in darknesS. when the conditions are better for you. You will get more detail its a waiting game kon. Always is. 

• Like 1

Still showing some really nice detail Neil. I would be over the moon if I could that in good conditions.

Skies look favorable (no cloud at least and winds easing) for the next two mornings. 

7 minutes ago, russ said:

Still showing some really nice detail Neil. I would be over the moon if I could that in good conditions.

Skies look favorable (no cloud at least and winds easing) for the next two mornings. 

Hi Russ thanks. Will keep a eye out on conditions. Its encouraged me to keep persisting. Spent a lot of time fine tuning the old scope last couple of days. Likely coincidence i am not sure ? But going in the right direction regardless

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Russ thanks. Will keep a eye out on conditions. Its encouraged me to keep persisting. Spent a lot of time fine tuning the old scope last couple of days. Likely coincidence i am not sure ? But going in the right direction regardless

Definitely going in the right direction. Results back that up. :)

• Like 1

Those are great Neil, was this with the 462c? Is the second image the same capture as the first but with different processing? Sky looks darker on that one and I think it has a teeny bit more detail in the N polar hood. 

Bodes well for later on the year.

5 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Wow they are stunning images of Jupiter Neil especially this early in it's apparition. You have definetly got the big newt tuned right on the sweetspot

Hi Martyn. Having kittens cleaning the primary recently. One third of the mirror had smudges. I was worried it wouldnt come off. after setting it back in the scope. I decided to take it out and reclean that area. Not knowing what would happen. It came out clean. put it all together imaged with it. Then decided I was unsure of the cell tightness. Took it out yet again. Its definitely not over tight now. But its been a real back breaker. At least now. i know the scope is fit for the next few months at least. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Those are great Neil, was this with the 462c? Is the second image the same capture as the first but with different processing? Sky looks darker on that one and I think it has a teeny bit more detail in the N polar hood. 

Bodes well for later on the year.

Hi Craig yes 462c. And yes on the second i added a little contrast so your obs of darker sky and bit more detail is spot on. Though i left both because the first has that smooth unforced look i like. 

44 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Nice work Neil some lovely detail showing!

Thanks Simon a rare glimmer of good seeing than what ive had recently. Though I think I will try the Baader Barlow screwed straight into the ADC again. One thing about ADCs are the length making barlows too strong. Attaching just the lens to the ADC helps this problem. 

Edited by neil phillips