Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ok for A med to Beginner Gift? Orion ShortTube 80-A Refractor Telescope

I can’t believe that for the price I’m reading good reviews on the Orion ShortTube 80-A Refractor Telescope was

thinking of getting it as a gift with a Star sense mini guider as a gift for beginners to interm , it does state and saw pictures of deep sky with it?  That’s main interest , deep sky. The individual also has a ZWO 1183 they’d use with it on an EQ6 Skywatcher mount.

Is the Orion ShortTube 80-A Refractor Telescope

A nice gift for the $ for deep sky? I know it’s not a big scope but had good reviews.. and very portable..fits the current budget, mind you..heh!

Hi

The ST80 is a very portable refractor and it gives nice wide field views, so large DSO like some clusters are suited but smaller objects much less so. The A in the name suggests it will have a 45 degree diagonal easier for terrestrial use (solar needs specific protective equipment), for night time a 90 degree diagonal is more comfortable but could be got at a later date. It does show chromatic aberration (blue fringing) on really bright objects like bright planets.

The star sense you might want to check what it does to ensure it is also what you are after.

Edited by happy-kat