Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lion Nebula Sh-2-132 reprocessing

carastro

Was never really happy with this image that I took in 2018 in HOO.

Have done several reprocesses but was still not happy with it.  Then recently an astro chum introduced me to Images Plus which certainly seem better than Photoshop in star reduction, and so I have had one final "go" at this image.  (I don't use Pixinsight and have no intention of doing so).  

These are the original specs:

Taken over two nights at an Astro camp in East Sussex

Dual Rig used but the FOV was a lot smaller so at this stage not added

William Optics ZS71 & Atik460EX  - Baader filter HOO  HEQ5

Ha 2 x 900 secs + 14 x 600 secs (2h 50 mins)  Oiii 1 x 600 secs (2h 30 mins)

Grand Total 5h 20m

This is one of the earlier processes (The original has long since disappeared) 

spacer.png

This is my latest result using images Plus to "tart up" the original processing, still not brilliant but I am happier with this than previous attempts.   

I still would like to image this target again but this time in SHO.

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 8

I prefer the detail in the first one. The second has a bit too much noise reduction for me. 

Yes I agree with you, I think this is the result of processing images that have been processed before (and can't remember what I have previously done to them).  The dark nebulae in particular has been severely smoothed out.  I don't think I have the original subs, and even if I have will I be able to find the calibration files?  If I can I will have another try from scratch, but as I say I would prefer to image this again and do Sii next time.

Thanks everyone else for your comments.

Carole 

@tooth_dr

Thanks for the nudge Adam, I managed to find the original subs and have done yet another reprocess.  Still not brilliant, but at least I have got the dark nebulae detail reinstated.

Is this better?   Guess I am trying to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear.  Really need to image this again.  

Lion HOO Combi  IPx3 2022 B.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 5