SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What should I look for in a used EQ5 GoTo mount?

LaurenceT

I've decided to use my 130PDS Newtonian and perhaps my Orion 80ED for astrophotography so I'm going to need something beefier than my Az GTi. I've settled on a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro GoTo as the ideal mount for me and I've seen a used one for sale. Are there any stand-out things I should look for or particular questions I should ask when I view this mount?

I'd check that the axes are able to rotate freely with no points of resistance, also get the GoTo hooked up and test that it functions well. You can do this in the daytime by selecting objects that you know should be up in the sky. No need to have a scope attached for this and when doing an alignment routine just do an up and right then enter to confirm each goto to allow the mount to complete the alignment process. Then you can elect a target and see how smoothly the mount operates in panning onto it. You're not looking for accuracy here, just function and noise etc. Grating gears during a fast pan would indicate that they either aren't meshed well (might be adjustable if the gears are ok) or bearings in the axis being reluctant to rotate.

A sniff of the electronic components doesn't hurt, any burnt smells then be careful 😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Brilliant, thanks Dave. I also saw Martin Pyott talking about releasing the clutches and seeing if there is movement when the app is used to slew the mount which could indicate binding.

yeah, I bought a EQ5 with the goto addon a couple years back and found when I got it home and had a play that it'd grate the gears when slewing. Of course being new to it all it took me a bit to figure it all out. Both axes have a lot of stiffness on that EQ5 head but luckily I had another EQ5 that came with the TAL100RS and that was smooth. So I simply swapped the goto kit over and its been fine since. Gonna be overhauling that sticky EQ5 soon tho as I've now added a basic dual motor kit to it so I'll want to have it running smooth to ease the loading on the motors.

Having a play in daylight is worth doing tho, you get to learn how to operate it while you can actually see what you and the mount are doing. It is quite loud when slewing (well mine is) which isn't so great with close neighbours but at least you only do that occasionally when heading to a new target 😉 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveL59 said:

yeah, I bought a EQ5 with the goto addon a couple years back and found when I got it home and had a play that it'd grate the gears when slewing. Of course being new to it all it took me a bit to figure it all out. Both axes have a lot of stiffness on that EQ5 head but luckily I had another EQ5 that came with the TAL100RS and that was smooth. So I simply swapped the goto kit over and its been fine since. Gonna be overhauling that sticky EQ5 soon tho as I've now added a basic dual motor kit to it so I'll want to have it running smooth to ease the loading on the motors.

Having a play in daylight is worth doing tho, you get to learn how to operate it while you can actually see what you and the mount are doing. It is quite loud when slewing (well mine is) which isn't so great with close neighbours but at least you only do that occasionally when heading to a new target 😉 

Does it make a functional difference if the GoTo kit is an addon or if the mount was sold as a GoTo originally?

4 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Does it make a functional difference if the GoTo kit is an addon or if the mount was sold as a GoTo originally?

I don't believe so, you buy one already assembled at factory or one without and add the Skywatcher add-on kit and get the same result. The kit comes with the cowling to cover the motor gear on the RA axis which replaces the square box that's on it for non-goto mounts. The kit is simply an upgrade from non to goto for those that want to add it later 🙂 

oh, worth saying but do be careful when plugging things together and also about power supply. You want 12v and 2A or better but not more than 15v in any case. I use a 12v 5A power brick or a LiPo car starter battery that I connect via a 12v 5A buck converter to trim the non-load voltage which on the starter can be 16v.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I upgraded mine and I do not think there is any difference at all. Doing the upgrade is simply a matter of unbolting the unwanted parts and bolting on the kit parts.

• Like 2

I've bought a used HEQ5 Pro.  Mounts are heavy so chances are you will collect in person. I would definitely recommend this. The seller demonstrated everything and a) showed that it all worked and b) explained how it worked.

It's proved one of my best purchases. The mount came with goto and other upgrades (Rowan belt mod, Polemaster with the HEQ5 adapter, ADM dual saddle, upgraded alt-az latitude adjustment bolts).  These all make a big difference in terms of ease of use. If you wait for one with similar kit I think you will be very content. Worse ever purchases are used stuff I didn't inspect (people get rid for different reasons...). The handset worked but I hated using it.  But for AP you'll be using EQMOD and software like NINA and ASTAP to plate solve. For the £££, a HEQ5 Pro in good condition is incredible value - especially with the Rowan mod. I'm amazed how well it targets and guides. 

• Like 1

Well, I bought the scope today, it ticked all the boxes and passed the tests!

Turns out it wasn't a Pro mount, that was my imagination running wild, it was described as an EQ5 SynScan Goto. I got it at a very good price from a very nice fellow.

Thanks to all those who kindly gave me advice.

• Like 1

Your 130PDS on a EQ5 should make for a nice combination, with the 130 being well within the weight specs for imaging.  Now a few words of caution.  As others have said always be mindful when connecting up power to the equipment.  The sysnscan unit doesn't really like anything over 14v, and polarity is sensitive, but the main killer of these mounts is when the wrong EQDIR adapter is used between the PC and mount when a computer is used to handle control of the equipment.  So often people get a standard RS232 serial to USB adapter and after some modification hook that up to their mount which dies the instance it plugged in.  If/when you go down that road, purchase a Lynx Astro EQDIR cable for £35 from FLO, it will eliminate the chances of damage to your mounts control box.

The EQ5 is a great mount, having a decent load capacity, the ability to have full goto option yet still be light enough to be considered portable. I'm sure it will give you some excellent results

• Like 3

2 hours ago, malc-c said:

Your 130PDS on a EQ5 should make for a nice combination, with the 130 being well within the weight specs for imaging.  Now a few words of caution.  As others have said always be mindful when connecting up power to the equipment.  The sysnscan unit doesn't really like anything over 14v, and polarity is sensitive, but the main killer of these mounts is when the wrong EQDIR adapter is used between the PC and mount when a computer is used to handle control of the equipment.  So often people get a standard RS232 serial to USB adapter and after some modification hook that up to their mount which dies the instance it plugged in.  If/when you go down that road, purchase a Lynx Astro EQDIR cable for £35 from FLO, it will eliminate the chances of damage to your mounts control box.

The EQ5 is a great mount, having a decent load capacity, the ability to have full goto option yet still be light enough to be considered portable. I'm sure it will give you some excellent results

Thanks for that information. 

To power the mount and Asiair outside I will be using this setup that I used to power the Asiair only:

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply | First Light Optics

Quick Charge 3.0 Car Adapter, 180W Cigarette Lighter Adapter 12V/24V Cigarette Lighter Splitter 4USB Ports 3-Socket Car Splitter 6.6A LED Voltmeter Car Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have one of these

Lynx Astro Silicone Power Cable for Sky-Watcher Mounts | First Light Optics

to power the Asiair. I had powered my previous Az GTi mount with a Talentcell power brick but that obviously won't do for the EQ5, so I shall buy another Lynx cable to connect the mount to the power source.

I shall be buying a wifi adapter for the mount as I'm used to that setup with Az GTi.

Edited by LaurenceT

8 minutes ago, malc-c said:

The lynx cable doesn't connect to a power source - it does the same thing as  your wifi adapter, allowing communications between a computer and the mount

It's a power cable

Just now, LaurenceT said:

It's a power cable

I think we are at cross purposes - The cable I linked to was the Lynx Astro EQDIR cable, but I think you are referring to a different cable.  If you are using a wifi dongle then there is no need to get the cable I was referring to.